5 day old Blue Orp eating caterpillar **pic**

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
Wow, I had no idea that the chick could actually eat this Caterpillar or worm. I thought it would choke but it didn't. The chick had already eaten half of it before I could take this picture.

Lacy, the momma found it and clucked and the blue orp was the first to get it out of the four chicks.

BlOwWorm.jpg

Ellie

Last edited:
Actually laying on my stomach LOL the chick is so tiny that is the only way I could get it. This little chick will grow strong now, I am sure of it.

ellie

Yummmmmmy!

I gave mine a spoonful of spagetti noodles when they were about a week old (I know better now!). One of the noodles was about worm size... The smallest bantam chick grabbed it and hoovered the WHOLE thing down in one gulp! I thought that was the end of that chick, but she was just fine. Their little crops are amazingly expandable!

Cheers,
Michelle

Must be losing it.... I took this about an hour ago..

chickensinorchard.jpg

However, you wouldn't be jealous in a month or so when the temps soar and hover at and over 100~
ep.gif

Ellie

Aha! Cynthia, you called it a "HE".

Thanks, Yogiman.

For those that don't know, Cynthia aka Speckled Hen sent me 6 "emergency eggs" as she calls them... four hatched and this little "fellow" was one of them. They came all the way from Georgia to California and it is fantastic to get 4/6. One simply was not fertile... who could know? I am sure Suede would not be happy to hear it,
barnie.gif
and one died after pipping.

Glory be, I have a wonderful hatch.

Ellie

Last edited:
Wow Ellie! It is BEAUTIFUL over your way!
Beautiful green grass.

The snow just stopped over my way... grass hasn't quite sprung to life yet...

& also I hear about everyone letting their chicks out for the day... not warm enough here yet... so they're stuck in their brooder. Plus their not old enough yet.

Nice pictures though
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom