5 day old button quail. little energy and a pasty butt. what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KattyKillFish, Apr 1, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i cleaned off most of the poo but he isn't as perky as usual. he is also a bit fat (not sure if that's normal) i've stopped giving him the sugar/quik-chick in the water. this is the same chick that my mom saved when it escaped the brooder and got too cold. he nearly died. anything i should know or do? any special treatment? should i separate him?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    anyone? i really care about Chippy, i want to help him.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    The best I can give you is try some water mixed with molasses, should look like a weak tea. The molasses helps the pasty butt clear up. Take him out alone and dip his beak in that water and he may or may not take a sip. When I had a weak one I did that and she would start drinking but only if we dipped her beak to start every sip. We also offered her some food while we had her on her own to make sure she got some of that down since she couldn't eat from the feeder on her own. If your chick is too weak to eat solid food try putting honey in his beak, just a little at a time, I find using your finger works best to just work it in along the side edge of the beak. Maybe someone has an even better way.

If you have to force feed water then someone else is going to have to chime in because I don't know how to do that as I have never had to. I know it's easy to drown them when putting liquids into their beaks.

4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i tried some molasses in the water, he's going crazy over it. he seems to have perked up a bit. he is alot fatter than the other chicks, too but then again he was the 1st to hatch and a day early at that... it could be all the special care we gave him the 1st time he wasn't doing well. he doesn't seem to be a sickly chick, just a little slow when it comes to feeding/drinking on his own. is there cause fro worry? should i not user him for future breeding?

5. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I don't know about the breeding aspect. I've never raised buttons. My advise is just pure chick, I just assume that it works mostly the same for most birds' chicks.

I'd say take him out a couple times a day for the next couple of days and give him his own time to eat and drink. He should catch up with the others once he has gained his strength back. We have one chicken chick that is smaller than the rest. For the first 4 days we had him we would give him his own time out and by day 5 he was pushing others out of the way at the feeder and running around happy and healthy like the rest. He is still smaller but is doing great. I hope the same will be said for your button! Some of them just take a little more 1 on 1 time.

ETA: you may find more button specific help if you have the post moved to the Other Fowl forum since people there are more oriented to the different types of fowl.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    has been a personal favorite of mine from the time i saw his little beak poking out of the shell. thank you for the advice, he is doing alot better now but he still cries alot more than the others. he's done that since he hatched.

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I'm glad he is doing a bit better. I hope he continues to improve. I'm not sure what the excessive crying would be, except maybe he is uncomfortable from the constipation that causes pasty butt. My chicks that had pasty butt were a bit more of complainers than the others and once the problem started to clear they would still do a loud peep the first half day every time they pooped.

8. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    LOL! poor things! i'm gonna go check on him right now... i really hope "he" is a "she" though...

9. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Katty, how is the little one doing?

10. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    he's being a nasty little brat and picking on the coturnix that just hatched. he swallowed a cricket alive a bit ago, and he is happy and healthy as ever! i'm glad he's okay. seeing him now you could never guess that he was so sickly! thank you for your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by