5 day old chick circles and crazy

Krystalb

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2021
Western Australia
Hey Everyone,

I have the following issue with one of my baby chicks :(

5 day old Isa Brown x chick from incubator, had to help hatch as it was upside down and in wrong position.

Baby is walking in circles, stubbles around, wipping beak on floor to eat not really peaking.
Sometimes keeps right eye shut. (Cleaned eyes, checked for blindness)
It also runs around crazy and chirping when i change the flooring.

Day 3 i had to hand feed as it was weak, it ate fine and is now eating and drinking.

Poo was green and runny now its eating its brown with a little white.

The brooder is a wooden box with paper towel down as i had shredded paper but it couldn't walk on it. Still is not sturdy on feet.

I have 2 other chicks (Silver laced Barnevelders) in with this one which i purchased from a lady and they are 'normal'

Thank you!!

Circles Video
Eating Video

Last edited:
Outside of disease, this sounds like a vitamin deficiency or failure to thrive. In either case, if it were my chick, I'd try a little vitamin therapy.

Do you have access to Vitamin-E and Vitamin B-complex? If so, try this:

Mix a little Starter Feed (about 1/2 TBSP) with a crushed/pulverized 1/4 tablet of Vitamin B-complex. Then add 1/4 TBSP of Yogurt (ours like mixed berry flavor). Once you've got a moist paste mixed up, puncture a 400(IU) Vitamin-E geltab, squeeze it over the mix you've created, then add about a pea-sized bit of fried egg yolk. Mix all of this together to form a moist paste. If too dry, add touch more yogurt; if too moist, add a bit more feed and re-mix. You're trying to get to the consistency of about cookie dough before it goes into the oven...

Try to separate the chick from the others, and feed her this mix. Make sure she gets some water too. She must stay hydrated for any therapy to work.

Good luck, and let us know how she progresses...

So Baby T is doing well. I think she has an impairment with her right eye but not blind.

I had to place the food down in a bowl so she can eat as she sometimes misses the food when she pecks. (I was using a chick feeder)

She is growing well but still a bit smaller than the other 2 but is happy and loves to chirp!

Thank you so much, i will buy the above tomorrow and try it!

Edit:
I have got all the stuff and have had to help her eat it as i put it down and she just climbs through it. She is eating it fine but i guess i wont see results for a few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom