5 Day Old Chick Sneezing And Trying to Swallow [Update]

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
I have a 5 day old serama chick who is sneezing every so often and acts like something is stuck in his throat. He will pause from eating and lift up his head and put it back and opens his mouth up. He eats a bit, stops does that, sits there for a bit and goes back to eating and then does it again. I just noticed this about 15 minutes ago. Brooder temp is between 89-92 degrees. I am changing the bedding and food.
Should I be concerned or is there something specific I should do?
Thank you!

Last edited:
It may just be that the chick is eating and swallowing too quickly. Does it appear sick or droopy looking? If it's eating, drinking and pooping normally - maybe you're overly concerned. I was, the first time I had chicks it was very stressful to me!

Was the brooder clean when you put the chick in it? Has the chick been exposed to adult birds?

I cleaned it this morning but by the end of the day there is food on the ground. Just cleaned it out with fresh paper towel. The only time the chick has been around an adult bird was the mom at day one. But she rejected the chicks. All other chicks are fine. He just drank some water, but still is doing the swallowing thing.

It may just be that the chick is eating and swallowing too quickly. Does it appear sick or droopy looking? If it's eating, drinking and pooping normally - maybe you're overly concerned. I was, the first time I had chicks it was very stressful to me!

That could be so. The little guy is super eager about food and always runs back to the feed with is brooder mates. He doesnt appear droopy, he will run and jump a bit then sit still. Definatley eating fine, just had a drink of water [sav-a-chick vitamin water] and pretty sure he has pooped. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear she rejected them. I think I would take that one out before they all get sick - if you really feel the chick is sick....

It's sneezing? Are the nostrils runny or having a discharge?

I'm sorry to hear she rejected them. I think I would take that one out before they all get sick - if you really feel the chick is sick....

It's sneezing? Are the nostrils runny or having a discharge?

A bit of sneezing. Not an excessive amount though. No runny nose or discharge. I am uploading a video of what the little guy looks like.

It sounds like the chick is ok, a little sneeze now and then is ok, my adults do it too....freaked me out the first time I heard that high pitched squeak! - Just keep an eye on it, make sure it gets plenty to eat.... if he's running around - sounds healthy to me!

Back
Top Bottom