5 day old Chick spit up foam!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My 5 day old silkie chick spit up foam when I picked up up? She is acting normal. What could that be from? Should I worry?

Also, when my 2 day old buff silkies drink, they lift their heads backwards after they are done drinking, is that normal?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, what color was it and did it smell? Maybe it just drank some water and you loved on it a little too hard when you picked it up?

Help us with more deswcription please [​IMG]

And I hope it works out OK.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It was clear foam, and it didnt smell. I think maybe it drank too much. Could that be? And when I picked it up, somehow some pressure was applied to its crop and it expelled it?

Im very gentle with them.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Just keep a close eye on them. It sounds as though it may have drank too much. Has this happened more than once? As for putting the head back, that sounds normal to me. All mine take a drink and then look at the sky with an open mouth till it all goes down then takes another drink.

5. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Keep an eye on the chick that spit up the foam...

As for the lifting the heads after taking a drink, that is completely normal. That is how birds swallow. Not just chickens, but all birds. Since they do not have the same muscles that we do, what they do is collect the water in their beaks and tilt their heads back to swallow it down [​IMG]

It's actually rather cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by