1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 day old chick still hasn't eaten

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I got 27 chicks from McMurray on Sunday and there is one that has yet to eat or drink on her own. I have dipped her beak in water a few times and she will drink when I do this but she will not eat, and will not voluntarily drink as far as I can tell. She just sleeps all day. Is there anything I should be doing, or should I just let nature take its course. She is a Salmon Faverolle. I'm actually surprised she's still alive.

2. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Take her away from the other chicks she may be sick next put her in her own brooder with a heat lamp and food. with the water put some suger in the water it will giver her some more energy then go to your local feed store such as farm & fleet and get save-a-chick and follow the deractions on the package. next because she won't drink on her own go to a pharmasy and get a suringe or 2 (no needel) and after you mix up the water and save a chick take her out and give her the water through the suringe. next for food take some of the chick feed and get it wet so its more of a mush and feed that through the suringe too you can use the water with save a chick in it to wet it. next keep her warm and happy. any more ? pm

3. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I forced her to drink some chick saver, made her food mush and dipped her beak in that as well. She is so feisty when she's being forced to do something. I don't know how she has that energy. I tried to separate her...she went nuts peeping at the top of her lungs, so I put her in a see through container in the brooder with the others, she still went nuts. I finally just put her back with the rest. She was loudly peeping for the last half hour...just now settled down. I guess that's all I can do for her.

4. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    she will do that you may just have to move her to a diffrent room so she cant hear them and she will stop. next this is were the seringes come in your ganna have to almost force feed her wet the feed suck it up with the seringe and put it in the side of her mouth and squrit a little in at a time she'll make a fuss but you got to do it and same with the water

5. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    She died yesterday :(.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm sorry for your loss, I know exactly how you feel though :( I lost a BLRW chick I'd been nursing all week. It would drink when I put it to the waterer, but wouldn't eat no matter how hard I tried to convince it that the food was yummy. I had been feeding mine a very wet mash with a syringe, but that didn't help the little one either. I call this failure to thrive, unfortunately it does happen.

7. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    im sorry

8. ChickenLisa3

ChickenLisa3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    I'm sorry. We lost one of our first 3 two days after she came home with us - same behavior as yours. It's amazing how attached you can become so quickly. I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy. xoxo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by