5 day old chick.. Very apathetic! Shaking, eyes closed, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychookschick, May 10, 2011.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Please help....

I found her dug into the shavings, sound asleep. She was covered in shavings and her siblings were pecking her. She sleeping upside down in my hand right now... Any clues on what is wrong and what I can do? She is pretty apathetic... [​IMG] Please help my baby Wyandotte!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    That is very sad! I have had some fade like that for no reason or just drop over. I have read that some people have good luck perking them up with sugar water or liquid vitamins for children. Hopefully someone has a good idea for you.
    Edited to add - the name of the vitamin drop is Poly Vi Sol. You can get it in the children section of most drug stores or Walmart.

3. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks for the quick response! What is the ratio for suger water? I want to try that first...

UPDATE:
    I went and got the Poly Vi Sol... How much can I give it? I already gave him one drop, but I don't want to give him too much.

4. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:Sorry, for the delay, How is he doing? I don't really know if there is a correct dose. I have a hen recently attacked by racoons and badly injured and in shock. I gave her about 5 drops of Poly Vi Sol twice a day for 3 days and put about 2 TB of sugar in a quart size waterer. She weighs about 4 lbs though so maybe just a drop or so of the vitamins for a chick. My hen is doing well anyway [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by