5 day old chick very weak

jschroed5186

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I have been struggling with a chick I rescued from a school. He has never walked but was doing much better this weekend. Today when I got home from work he looked horrible. So weak he could barely open his eyes let alone drink. He drank about 5 droppers of water and some mashed up food. I noticed one side of his face looked almost bruised. It was a little swollen and a dark red/brown color. The other side was totally normal and yellow like it had been.

I have grown so attached to this chick and I am in tears seeing him like this. Please any suggestions or words of encouragement

I'm sure it must be a bit traumatized with the sounds of the injury. I'm new to chickens as well, but I'm sure the cure is the same for chickens as any other critter. So until someone comes with more knowledgeable information, here we go.

For starters. Since it seems to be eating very little, I would put some kind of nourishment in the water. I would go with apple cider vinegar like Braggs. Just a few drops in a 8 oz. glass of water. This not only has vital nutrients, but acts as an anti fungal/antibacterial as well.

Then I would make her/his place very comfy with a towel. They can be washed easily enough, and there is no dust to aggravate anything. Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to her water. Which I would put in a lid. It's low and she won't have to struggle to get a drink.

Put a mirror in her box. Company is always healthy.

You can put a bit of oatmeal in with her food. I would just sprinkle this on the towel so she could eat while laying down.

Then do not disturb her as much as possible. All things heal while resting.

Don't forget the light for heat. About 90 degrees to keep such a young one warm and comfy.

Hope that helps. Good Luck and God Bless

Last edited:
You say the chicks face looks bruised? Is its eye closed shut and swollen looking? Can it open its eye? It could have a bacterial infection if its eye actually looks swollen?

Back
Top Bottom