5 day old chick with broken hip-need help urgent!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolina chicky, Aug 13, 2010.

1. carolina chicky

carolina chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    My 5 day old bantam chick has a possible broken hip or leg. Yesterday she somehow got injured and I came home to find her hobbling around on one leg. She keeps the injured leg curled up to her body and won't put any weight on it or move it at all. It appears that the whole foot is just limp. There are some dark red/purple spots but no cuts or anything. She doesn't move it at all. I need advice on how and if to splint it. I am afraid I will damage it farther if I don't splint it correctly. Please help!! I know absolutely nothing about chicken anatomy [​IMG](!!

[​IMG]

She just tweets loudly all the time except when I hold her and I don't know what to do. I know she is used to being with mom but she can't right now. I don't want to lose this baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    Anyone? I think I need to do something soon....any advice at all?

3. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Oh, I feel bad for you. Let's see, I have not had many injuries to deal with but I will try to help you out. First, do a search on here for the specific injury you are dealing with. There are lots of splint photos I've seen for various ailments and probably one for a hip. Second, keep it seperated. Put a mirror or taddy bear in there to keep it company and for it to snuggle. Chicks hate being alone and it will continue to chirp for mom. You may want to consider some vitamins, if you do use them please do a search for that as well you will find what kind and how much and if it is actually necessary under these circumstances. That is all I can offer, hopefully someone else will chime in too. Sorry I couldn't help more and good luck. Is the little one doing ok?

4. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    if she's not with her mama - make sure you keep her warm
    as for the leg - or hip... I don't know what I would do if it were me. Maybe wait overnight to see if she still favors it and do research reading poultry books and searching the internet for the mean time. She should be sleeping now anyway.

5. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
  6. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I can't find any info on this exact problem. I am not sure whats wrong. I even tried the treatment of popping back in any tendons, etc. in case that was whats wrong. I am worried [​IMG]

7. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Looking at the pic it almost looks like her leg wasnt formed right to begin with. Does her thigh look the same as the other one? It may not even have any neurologic function. Does she care if you manipulate it? It looks flacid,like it may not have functioning muscle. Just a human medical person here taking a guess. Hope you get more info. cute chick!

8. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    That is exactly what I thought but she walked on in for the first few days of her life. What should I do in this situation?

9. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I think you already know what needs to be done. Look deep in your heart and ask yourself what's best for this chic. A miserable, hobbled existance always fighting and struggling to get to the food and water? Being trampled and pushed aside by the others? Not being able to outrun a predator? Possibly passing bad genes on to the next generation? I think you already know what to do.

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Sad to say, that's what I would do also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by