5 day old chick with crusty eyes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnaboydjones, Jan 6, 2013.

1. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

My turkin hatched 9 chicks , five days ago and last night I noticed one of them had a crusty eye. It was too late to do anything, but I planned on it first thing this morning. When I went out there this morning the same baby had both eyes crusty. The babies and mama are separated from the flock( they can see each other) w/ two heating lamps, clean nesting shavings, food and water.
    No one else is sick and I don't know what to do. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it possible the chick was chilled? Did it get stuck in a cold spot?

4. donnaboydjones

I wondered the same thing since she hatched these in winter and they are in the coop. I spoke with the local farmers supply company and they thought maybe the mom had injured it , cause I had mentioned she stepped on them a lot. When I went to check on the chicks last night, one of the eyes was fine and the other was worse and I caught two chicks pecking the eye, so I removed it and brought it inside in a broody box. It certainly doesn't like being away from mama and siblings, but everytime I checked on it through the night it was sleeping and this morning it is eating and peeping. Eye doesn't look any better today. Is there anything I can put in the eye that may help?

5. donnaboydjones

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. donnaboydjones

Originally Posted by willowbranchfarm [​IMG]

Thank you for the thread. I'm not a 100% sure, but after talking to some locals, it seems like it may be a injury. But I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me

7. ChickensAreSweet

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    You can get some Teramycin ( sp?) at the farm sore. It is an eye ointment. I put some on a duck that the feed store gave me cause she had an injured eye. After a couple of days of putting it on her eye was better.

minihorsemama likes this.
  9. donnaboydjones

We'll I think YOU were right after all and not the famer supply store. After going back out to the coop tonight to lock up the flock and check on the chicks for pasty butt, I noticed another chick with the same crusty eyes. These two are among the last that were hatched and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get chilled. I've brought the other one in too and is in the laundry room with the first one. I've been using saline eye wash, warm wipes and some neosporin in the first chicks eye and it seems better then it did this morning.
    I can put them out in the coop near the mama, but I'm worried that one, if it is something contagious, then I'm putting the rest of my flock at risk( I have 30 in a 500 sq ft coop and they are free range) and two, it's so cold and windy here right now and there aren't any drafts in my house as the coop has. I can always put them back out there if you think it's best. I know that the first baby sure is happy to have some company now.=)
    Just when I start to think I know how to raise chickens, something comes up that I realize I have no clue!

10. ChickensAreSweet

Sounds like it might be a good idea to leave them in the house then! It is indeed nice that the chicks have each other for company while in the "hospital."

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Accuweather.com was saying that there was a sudden stratospheric warming event over the north pole area that could send us some extra cold air in 10-14 days. Brrrrrr!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by