5 Day old chick with one eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ronikins, May 3, 2011.

1. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    I went away for the weekend. On last Friday (4-29) a single egg hatched under one of my broody hens. She had only one under her. According to my husband, baby had either fallen out or was booted out of the nestbox the day it hatched. He found baby on the floor and put her back up with mama (who never left the nest). He then checked on them again about 2 hours later to find baby on the floor again. So he thought he'd try puting baby under another hen that hatched an egg 3 weeks ago. The new baby went promptly under the second hen and he thought everything was alright. About a few hours later he went back to check again. New baby was in the coop, on the floor alone, with it's eyeball dangly from the socket. Of course, he freaked and called me. I told him to put it back under it's original mama. He checked on it a few times and it seemed ok other than the fact that it was missing an eye. Saturday, baby was still under mama, stuck to her skin. He ended up bringing baby in the house Sunday night/ Monday morning to clean her up and give her food and water. Her mama didn't seem to want to take baby to food and water or show her how to function. She pretty much abandoned baby or just never recognized baby.

So now, I'm home, and baby has been in a small brooder box with a lamp, stuffed toy bird, warm towl, food and water. I'm not sure if I should give it some antibiotics or try and clean it up some more. Right now, it's whole head is slicked back with dried matted water/blood. I just don't want to make it worse if it would be fine like it is. I read about poly-vi sol, but I'm not sure what it is or where I can get it. I try to search it but nothing seems to describe it.

Can a chick live through something like this? I really can't have a house-chicken, so she would be free-range. Will I be having a problem with other chickens bothering her? I have another hen that's due to hatch up to 6 chicks. Should I put those chicks in with the one-eyed chick to keep her company?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I also meant to say, we haven't really seen her eat or drink. I THOUGHT I saw some poop, but I wasn't really sure if it was. My husband dipped her beak in the water to show her where it was. I dig my finger in her food so she can hear it. But I'm not sure if she can fully see in the one eye or it's normal for her to be ginger about eating and drinking. I hope that makes sense.....

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We have a rooster that got his eye damaged, he is now blind in the right eye. But he still manages to find his food and water and even mate with the hens. We just give him lots of TLC. He was around a year and a half when this happened. I am not sure about chicks though, I will pray and hope that it will make it, Good luck hopefully someone who knows more will post. [​IMG]

3. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Thank you, crevecoeurcrazy63. I sure hopes she pulls through. I have her right here beside me, hoping us talking will help ease her lonelyness. She's snoozing right now. It will break my heart if I lose her....

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

the polyvisol is simply baby vitamins. That's the brand name; you could use a generic, of course. Just make sure to get the kind without iron, because it is TOO much iron for chickens. Walmart carries them (the PolyViSol and the store brand) and any drug store should have them. I hope your baby not only lives, but thrives. [​IMG]

5. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Quote:Do you think it would help to give her some?

Thank you! I hope so too!

6. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    She pooped. Husband said "Must be good. If stuff's coming out then stuff must be goin in."

7. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Any of the morning crew have any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by