5 day old chick with weird bump

polychip

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Smiling Dog Farm, Texas!
Hi. I'm not new to chickens but have never seen this. I have a chick with a bump by her left leg. She acts healthy otherwise. Any ideas? I took a pic while I was washing her. She needs to be cleaned twice a day to prevent pasty butt. You can see her vent is clear and the weird thing is on the right. I have since cleaned the rest of the poop off. But I took the pic at a moment when I thought it could best be seen.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not new to chickens but have never seen this. I have a chick with a bump by her left leg. She acts healthy otherwise. Any ideas? I took a pic while I was washing her. She needs to be cleaned twice a day to prevent pasty butt. You can see her vent is clear and the weird thing is on the right. I have since cleaned the rest of the poop off. But I took the pic at a moment when I thought it could best be seen.
Can you get us a closer shot of that foot??? I'll be hanged if it doesn't look like the beginnings of bumblefoot, but I have never heard of it in a chick this young. Please send better, closer shots!

Thanks. It's not the foot. Bump might be the wrong word. It's more of a bulge. If you look at the area between her vent and her left leg...it's that whole thing. It's about the size of a half dollar and about 2" thick. That IS the close shot. :) see what I mean now?

Thanks. It's not the foot. Bump might be the wrong word. It's more of a bulge. If you look at the area between her vent and her left leg...it's that whole thing. It's about the size of a half dollar and about 2" thick. That IS the close shot. :) see what I mean now?
Yes, I see it now..sorry, misunderstood. Boy! I have no clue what that could be...yikes! I think you should re-post to the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries thread asap, someone there will be better able to help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Best of luck to you!

Thanks. I found out that its a chick hernia. Usually they're centered and smaller. But this one is dark and near her leg. The vet was at the neighbor's farm just now. I ran over with my chick. There's not much we can do. If she lives, laying may be risky. He said she has a better chance bc of where it is. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom