5 day old chick won’t eat, very sick

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
Hey ya’ll!
I picked up 4 little chicks from the feed store the other day. One was very sick, and the guy there said if I wanted to try to help her I could just take her. This shipment went thru unexpected cold weather, so a lot of them had died. This one had really bad pasty butt, and it looked like she hadn’t pooped in a few days. After I got that sorted, she pooped EVERYWHERE. That was yesterday. I couldn’t find save a chick, but I got some probiotics for their water that is basically the same thing. I’ve also been giving her electrolytes. She’s pooping today, but hasn’t grown at all so now she’s the smallest. She’s still very weak and won’t eat, and won’t drink unless I bring her to the waterer. Anything else I can do for her? She’s very vocal and is always making noise, but she just lays there in her belly and crawls around only every once in a while. I’m most concerned about her not eating.

I am no expert and other's will likely have better ideas. I'd say make sure she's warm enough and hand feed/water her and maybe she'll pull through. I had a cross beak chick that I hand fed when she was a chick and beyond as she basically had to stick her whole head in the feed and she always needed crumbles. She was my lap chicken and best buddy because of the hand feeding.

I hope yours pulls through.

Is there anything wrong with your chick's legs?

I am no expert and other's will likely have better ideas. I'd say make sure she's warm enough and hand feed/water her and maybe she'll pull through. I had a cross beak chick that I hand fed when she was a chick and beyond as she basically had to stick her whole head in the feed and she always needed crumbles. She was my lap chicken and best buddy because of the hand feeding.

I hope yours pulls through.

Is there anything wrong with your chick's legs?
Aww that’s so sad that that happened. I’ve been giving her water with probiotics and electrolytes in it by hand, but still no luck with food. I think I’ll make her a lightly cooked egg yolk and see if she’ll take that. Nothing really wrong with her legs, no. I think it’s mainly because she couldn’t poop for a few days at least before I got to her, and now she’s so underweight and dehydrated that she’s going to have a hard time coming back from that. She walks around on her hocks most of the time if she does decide to move, but I know she can stand and walk normally if she gets the strength for a few minutes. I’ve already had her for two days now, and she’s lived this long so I’m still hopeful, but we’ll see.

If you can get some Poultry Cell at your feed store, I would give a couple of drops daily. Feed wet chick feed with extra water, and you canntry making her a sling. Chicks who have a tough time in the beginning can fail to thrive and may die. Hopefully, you can save her. If you cannot get the Poultry Cell, make sure that you give her vitamins with riboflavin.

I have poultry cell. Right now I have a small lid with water, a little electrolyte, a few drops of poultry cell and some chick starter to form a watery mash. She drank a ton of electrolyte water about 2 hours ago so she doesn't have much interest in it now.
If you can get some Poultry Cell at your feed store, I would give a couple of drops daily. Feed wet chick feed with extra water, and you canntry making her a sling. Chicks who have a tough time in the beginning can fail to thrive and may die. Hopefully, you can save her. If you cannot get the Poultry Cell, make sure that you give her vitamins with riboflavin.

The little guy isn’t going to make it another 30 minutes probably. However, I now have another question. Any idea what this is? He pooped it out. It’s about 1cm in length, hard, and isn’t moving. Is it some kind of parasite? I bought other chicks with this one, should I be concerned about them?
BB04D5D5-333C-4E37-A1C2-E8585510E8BB.jpeg

The little guy isn’t going to make it another 30 minutes probably.
Did he make it @floppysquirrel04 ?

However, I now have another question. Any idea what this is? He pooped it out. It’s about 1cm in length, hard, and isn’t moving. Is it some kind of parasite? I bought other chicks with this one, should I be concerned about them?
Did you see it come out of his vent?
It looks like some kind of larvae, but could be a multitude of insects.

Back
Top Bottom