5 day old chicks, pasty butt or cord?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiemomma42, Mar 7, 2013.

1. silkiemomma42

silkiemomma42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    I have 11 beautiful black silkie 5 day old chicks. I do a good head to toe on each chick at least 3 times a day. Checking for pasty butt and blocked vents or just boo boos. I have noticed on just one hick a hardness that seems attached a ways below the vent. Frantically googling an answer to what was on my chick led me to one person saying it may be the cord site? It isn't attached to the chick's vent, I can tell it is not that. What could this semi crusty thing be attached to the bottom of my chick? Is there anything I should do about it? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Welsummer Champ

Welsummer Champ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    That happened to one of my chicks and it went away in a few weeks when they were growing up. It could just be a bad feather...
    [​IMG]

3. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I had the same thing on one of my chicks - thought it was poo stuck to her, started trying to get it off, then noticed it was attached to her "insides". Think it was the "cord". I put some neosporin on it and left it alone. A couple days later, the "scab" was gone and where it was attached was closed and healed up.

4. silkiemomma42

silkiemomma42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    That sounds precisely like what is going on with this chicky..what a relief to hear yours did fine! 3 of these babies are actually a silver smoke color with unusual neck feathers. We've been calling this chick Radish, I'm glad to hear that (s)he should make it. I will leave the place alone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by