5 day old chicks sick Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heavenleigh, Mar 30, 2015.

1. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Navarre FL
    5 weeks ago we had 3 Gold Wyandotte chicks get sick at around 3 days old (lethargic, breathing with mouth open, not eating or drinking, unable to stand) and they died within 12-24 hours of showing symptoms. Force fed the last one sugar water and she perked up and seemed normal but was dead by morning.

Now we have more chicks and our 2 boilers and 1 Rhode Island red are starting the same symptoms. Any advice?

2. Pixie

Pixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    I had similar issues with a chick today (6 days old) here.

We lost a Black Australorp just this afternoon. She was running around fine this morning and by dinnertime she was under the heat lamp and did not move with the rest of the girls.

She perked up briefly when I lifted her out but then she put her head down. Almost looked like she was gasping for air once in a while, but then would be still. I tried a little water on a Qtip and she drank a little. Wrapped her in a fluffy hand towel put her on a warm heating pad. Never left her, 30 minutes later she was gone.

She was perfectly normal looking (to me).

We lost a Leghorn two days ago overnight. Not sure why as they all looked fine at bedtime. I hope this is not something that will spread. :(

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is the temperature in your brooder?

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Have either one of y'all checked for pasty butt?

5. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    Brooder is 80-90 under each of the two lamps. There are a couple with "poop butt" but I have cleaned them as it occurs and no one has had a blocked vent. Just some buildup.

My two that died never had a poop issue.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Navarre FL
    Temperature range is 75-85 as when we had it 85-95 they were all staying in the cooler side. With the lower temp all seem happy. No pasty butt, luckily haven't had any chicks get it.

7. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Yes, it sounds like heat exertion. Defiantly keep it at a lower temp. Below is the suggested temperatures for age:

0-7 days (95 degrees)
    7-14 days (90 degrees)
    14-21 days (85 degrees)
    21-28 days (80 degrees)
    28- so on (75-77 degrees)

Good luck!

8. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    I lost another Saturday night. Not to hot/cold. Again, no poopy butt with this one. Took her out and she pooped yellow-ish in the towel. I have been searching around and am getting worried it is Coccidiosis. I called the local vet to see if they would just test the fecal to let me know, but they refused. *sigh*

Looking for a microscope to try and do a fecal float myself. [​IMG]

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No harm in giving the chicks some amprolium in case it may be cocci...not all cocci symptoms include blood in their stools. Sadly if it is cocci they die very quickly unless treated.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pixie

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL
    I am considering it as I do not need to get special permission to purchase it (perscription).

I did find a vet that would do a fecal for me, but she cannot get results until tomorrow. The more I read about it, I am worried when I move them outdoors into the coop in the barn, this might happen again.

I am thankful that the vet will at least give me a full fecal report (not just cocci), but it's $32 a pop. Looking for a microscope and going to learn to do my own eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by