5 day old duckling with hurt leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alstx0429, Feb 17, 2017.

1. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Hi. I just got 4 sweet baby girls the other day. They are all healthy and spunky. Yesterday I noticed one of the ducklings wasn't moving much. I picked her up and put her down and she immediately laid down. She's eating and drinking just fine. I give them niacin with their food, and the other 3 are acting just fine. I noticed later in the day she could stand up but was favoring her left leg. Sure enough I saw her her hobbling around to get to the food and water. I'm not sure what to do. I don't thinks it's broken. She folds it in like normal but sometimes she also leaves it untucked a bit. It's not overly warm and at the moment appears to look normal. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @alstx0429 Welcome to BYC

She may have gotten step on it happens so keep watch that if that is what happened they don't keep it up. If you have to you can also half the brooder some way so each side can still see each other but maybe place the injured one and one other on one side the other 2 on the other just to give this one a chance of healing. And water therapy is a good way to help. Fill tub or sink with enough warm water they can float in not real deep to start. [And never leave them alone]
    Let them play in the nice warm water for about 5 mins to start with then take them out pat dry and right back under heat lamp so they don't chill. They will love it you'll enjoy watching their antics and it will help relieve pressure on the lil ones leg while it's healing. If you notice any swelling try some Epsom Salt compresses [they cannot drink this solution since ES is also a laxative] But you can make up a mixture of ES and warm water take a soft wash cloth and soak up the solution then wring out till it's not dripping and wrap the lil ones leg keep on till it's just starts to cool down. And make sure the niacin your offering is plain not time released or flush free.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Thank you so much for the advice. I put them in some warm water, and of course they loved it. The duckling with the injured leg(Eleanor) mainly used her good leg and stayed in the most shallow part. I also noticed one of be other ducklings would pick on her. The brooder is divided for now. I will give Eleanor another turn in the water without her sisters to see how that goes.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you. it seems even when very young they pick up on one of their flock members not quite right which sometimes means getting picked on. Eleanor may need a buddy though they get pretty sad when they are all alone.[stuffed animal may work] Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Ok will do! She hung out with me for a bit and seemed pretty content, but I will give her a buddy and monitor over the weekend to see if there is any improvement. I'll update in a couple days!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looking forward to great update.She maybe okay with out one of the other ducklings with her. Then again if you can't be with her constantly she will most likely peep alot. Try it and see.

7. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Doesn't matter. I put one in with her and that one freaked out so I put her back with the others. Eleanor seemed content just watching. She had some water and ate. I then noticed Olive (not the one I put back) managed to hop over to be wih Eleanor. Lol they are asleep now. :) everyone is happy.

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well there ya go it worked out on it's own. Yay!!

9. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

@misslydia I've been giving Eleanor warm soaks have made a tiny little bandage to wrap her leg. Today I noticed she would try to put it down but still doesn't put wait on it. I'm now wondering if it is broken. She's eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She's alert and loves being in the water, but her little leg just isn't right.

I tried to get a pic. I will take another when she's in the water next time.

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @alstx0429 Is there swelling? from here it's looks swollen at the foot and possibly at top of leg?? Any possibility of a vet seeing her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by