5 day old ducklings, am I just a worry wart or is something going on?

clbarley

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Clatskanie, Oregon
Good morning, I am new on this forum and I have went through a few pages of the duck information and I have not found anyone posting anything about this. So I thought I would reach out and hope someone would give a helping hand.

Friday, March 9th, I brought home two Khaki Campbell female ducklings, they are probably the cutest thing I have ever came across in my entire life. You never know how much you can care for something until you hold their little bodies. We decided to get ducks because we have a mega slug problem at our house and we planned a huge garden this year. We do not like commercial slug killers as we do not like to use any chemicals so what better way them to have ducks to nom on some slugs. We also have dogs that will love the duck eggs and us too.

Here they are!

On the Left is Miss. Huey and on the Right is Miss.Lewis!

Anyway....so the first day went great everyone was very active etc....Saturday we noticed the Lewis sits down way more then her sister. She also likes to sit down to eat and drink which we found weird. Sunday...same thing no other changes. Monday....Lewis is still sluggish so I can home and gave them a mashed boiled egg which went over so good! They ate the whole egg in probably 10 mins! I also started putting some stuff in their water that I bought at my local feed and tack that they recommended for ducklings or any baby poultry, so we gave it a try. Tuesday....so last night when I came home, they were looking ok till I looked closer, there skin is slightly red and it looks like a little fluff on Lewis' neck is coming off and its red, I also watched them forever and noticed that Lewis pooped and it was pretty much clear and foamy. They are still eating good and do get up and run around.

Am I just being a worry wart? Or any thought suggestions comments anything I will take anything I have been going google crazy for days trying to make sure they are ok and I just can not find anything saying that they are!!!

Hmmm....I don't know. It doesn't sound quite normal to me, but maybe someone who has a lot of experience raising ducklings will jump in.

What are you feeding them? Ducks have a little bit different nutritional requirements than chicks.

A really good reference book that I recommend you get is Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, by Dave Holderread. It has a ton of great info and I think you'd find it helpful.

Another good place to get some basic info is on Metzer Farm's website. http://www.metzerfarms.com

Right now they are on game bird baby feed. We wet it slightly that way it is easy to eat and they have been getting 1/2 a hard boiled egg per day, grit stuff, a couple baby toms chopped up with some kale.

Yeah I know it doesn't sound normal....I just cant find anything on it...hopefully someone on here has some feedback...

I have never given ducklings treats before they were two weeks old. I know momma duck would introduce them to goodies right away, but I'm not a momma duck. Tummy upsets scare me, so I try to make sure they have their digestive systems more mature before I give 'em treats. I do make sure to sprinkle some powdered Brewer's yeast on their feed a couple times a week, because they need more niacin than chicken chick starter contains. They need it for growth and to strengthen their legs.

And for water, I use an empty Cool Whip container with an oval slice cut out of the lid. I put a rock in it to hold it down because the ducklings WILL try to get into it. But they have to dunk their whole bills into the water to clear their nares (nostrils). They stick their heads in through the open oval cut out and drink that way.

I think I am actually going to try that for the water pan, because they make a mess with their current water bowl. They fling water everywhere.
EXACTLY! There's still gonna be some flinging, but that set up contains the majority of the splashes. Other folks even set the Cool Whip tub inside a low, 8x8 baking pan, so that catches more of the splashing and helps keep their brooder bedding drier longer.

The brooder fluctuates between 95-98 degrees. Is that to hot for them? They huddle a lot under the lamp I was actually thinking they were to cool.

Ok Ill back off on the treats.

Back
Top Bottom