5 day old ducks seem starved to death

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have 5 day old ducks and they always come running up to me and they nibble on my fingers and my clothing. I give them chick starter, which is for ducks also. Is there anything else that I can be feeding them? They have fresh water always, i change it a couple of times a day and they have a big plate full of all the baby food they can eat. They act so hungry. I have even ground up their baby food so they can eat it easier....any ideas?[​IMG]

2. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have given and do give my 13 day olds fresh greens and hardboiled eggs. They've tried bok choy, dandelion greens ( from the market and the yard) and they also liked the carrot tops from the carrots for the Spring bunny that visited on Sunday. They also love diving for peas when they swim in the tub. Outside, we find worms and anything else creepy crawly and they go wild.

There's a thread here about treats and such for ducks. Yogurt, cottage cheese, Romaine lettuce (dark greens, not iceberg, I've also heard that spinach interferes with calcium absorption but don't quote me). Try a search for duck treats.

Good luck and have fun.[​IMG]

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Mine can have crops that look about ready to pop, and yet they still act hungry. They may see you as their mother and be trying to preen you. Mother ducks preen the babies, and the babies cuddle and preen the mother back.

Emily in NC

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i can give my ducks, at any age, a whole handful of treats and they will come running for more if they see me eating dinner. It's a duck thiing, they will always act like they are starving all the time, even after making little piggies of themselves. Mine seem to like to do this esp when we have company over. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How much protein is in the chick starter? You need to make sure they have at least 20%, more is better. But they seem to want to eat constantly, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep their bowl filled and they'll be fine. [​IMG]

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Mine also, would eat all the time if they could!

7. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    It's gotta be a duck thing!

Mine have free choice starter feed, as much as they want, and they still descend like mad creatures on anything that drops in their vicinity.

And I can tell, by the rate they're growing, that they are definitely NOT starving!

8. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I feel so much better. They are just piggys. They have a large pond that they will be on in a few weeks so they will have all kind of new things to eat. I have one adult female mallard duck that i raised on the pond and her mate was hit by a car, so i thought she might like to have 6 new friends. Hopefully they will follow her into the goose/duck house. Thanks for responding to my post. Its so helpful when you get an answer.[​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Three things to keep in mind

1) Ducks are always hungry. Always.
    2) Even if they aren't THAT hungry, they still want to taste everything in case they want to eat it later
    3) Ducks can't pick things up hold them while trying to figure out what it is. They nibble on everything as a way of figuring out what it is...and more importantly, if is tastes good [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. lavenderman

lavenderman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2008
    Try scrambled eggs -------- duckies love them...... we use all our pullet eggs that we don't eat ourselves to feed the baby ducks ................ they are so so on the chick starter crumbles but watch out when I put down a plate of scrambled eggs - just use a bit of milk for moisture and do in the microwave.................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by