5 day old giunea looks like it is dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OneEyedChickenGuy, May 17, 2011.

1. OneEyedChickenGuy

OneEyedChickenGuy Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I bought him and 7 other giuneas Saturday at the local farm store. The other birds appear to be ok. This one keeps his head down and walks sluggishly or drags itself around. He looks like he is breathing labriously, at least, I would say that if he were a human, still not sure what abnormal breathing looks like to a chicken. Me and a neighor cleaned off his underside. His poop was dry and hardpacked and sticking to him. I have him isolated from the rest of the flock and am planning to keep an eye on him and make a decision in the morning. Any advice?

2. OneEyedChickenGuy

OneEyedChickenGuy Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    Unfortunately, he didn't make it.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm sorry your question wasn't answered sooner, but honestly, it sounds like he was at such a late stage of illness that nothing you could have done would have saved him from dying. Did he have any mites/lice that you could see? If he had a lot of dried poop sticking to his underside that just sounds like he had been sick for quite a while and been spending more time lying down than standing up. It may be just a one-off condition and not something infectious that will pass on to the other guineas. There's not really any way to tell. I suppose you'll just have to keep a very close eye on all the others.

It might be a good idea to inspect them all closely for mites, and to think about worming them.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. How sad. I hope the others make it and are doing good. [​IMG] from Ga. Sorry it is under these circumstances though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by