5-day-old Guinea keets gone off drinking water

Victoria-nola

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2011
Southwest Mississippi
I need help. This morning I changed the keets' water, using one of the fountains that fits on a quart mason jar, using glass jars. I changed it for a jar that had labels on it, not realizing that it would freak them out, as guineas are easily startled. The keets got all freaked out about the labels and stopped drinking water, terrified. I changed it back to fresh water in the old jar with no labels, and I dipped Number 1's beak in it. I thought they started drinking after that and I've been checking on them all day (which is tough because they freak out when I check on them), but now I'm worried that at least some of them are getting dehydrated. Several of them are opening their beaks and stretching their necks out forward and then closing their beaks-- a gesture of thirst if I ever saw one, but maybe it's something else. They are outside on the porch, been in the shade all day except for early morning when some sun hits the porch, but it's been above 90F most of the day. I have a fan going on the porch, not directly on them. Is that bad, is that contributing to dehydration?

What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom