5 day old on it's back??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JasonVideo, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JasonVideo

JasonVideo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    The back-story:

Bought our one-day-olds from a local feed and seed. All healthy and thriving. One seemed to be the most tame and she is now my favorite (at 5 days old). Wanda, an, Americauna. We also have another Americauna, 2 Rhode Island Reds and a Black Astralorp. Yesterday we bought 2 more chicks from local farmer. A Dominique and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. (sorry if those spellings are off). The two new chicks were a little weary and quiet when we got home. We went to bed with all 7 under the EcoGlo heater.

Today:

When I got up this morning I found Wanda out of the heater and on her back. She was cold and barely moving! We put her under the heater for about 10 minutes then warmed her up with a blow dryer and gave her some sugar water. She perked up and seemed to be fine as the day went on. Tonight we were watching TV and heard a loud peep peep peep. I went to check and it was Wanda on her back again. The other chicks weren't being too mean, but they were getting a peck here and there. We flipped her back over and I watched. As she was eating, one of the chicks hopped over her and knocked her over. On her back again. She doesn't seem to be able to right herself. I nudged her until she got up.

So now I'm a nervous wreck. Well, not a wreck. I realize they don't all make it, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is something she'll grow out of, or is she going to have a short little life? She is such a sweetie!

Thanks,

Jason

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I can vaguely recall having had a similar issue with a chick some time ago and my chick did grow out of it fairly quickly. You are going to have to keep checking on her and make sure she remains upright, until she's a bit stronger. If it's possible to keep her separate, but within sight of the other chicks, in the brooder, so there is no risk of her getting knocked over, that would be ideal. Good luck with her!

3. JasonVideo

Jul 25, 2012
    Wanda is still here and does fine when she's upright. We've had to help her up more and more everyday. Today I think it's been 4 times so far. I sure hope we can keep her alive until she grows out of this (if she does). She's sweet as can be.

I couple more observations. She doesn't seem to flap or stretch her wings like her sisters. If I pick her up she does use her wings for balance. She is growing more slowly than the other 6 chicks of the same age. She seems to drink (including probiotics and electrolytes) and eat just fine when she's not under the heater, but she's under there more than the other chicks. The other chicks don't seem to be picking on her. They do peck at her when I flip her over to clean the litter shavings off of her. We just don't know what to do other than keep a close eye on her. If anyone has any other words of wisdom I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Jason

4. JasonVideo

Jul 25, 2012
    Well, Little Wanda passed away tonight. She was 9 days old. I sure wish I knew why she didn't do well. The other 6 seem to be doing great. These are our first chicks. Very sad right now. We buried her under a cherry tree in bloom out back.

Jason

[​IMG]

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Aww...so sorry to hear it. I hate when the babies don't make it. I had lost one last hatching season, back in April. It apparently didn't get enough heat and egg turning the last few days by the mama hen. It couldn't walk..had to scoot. It just couldn't keep up.

6. JasonVideo

Jul 25, 2012
    Sorry to hear about yours too. Amazing how attached you can get to the critters!

Jason

7. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I'm sorry Wanda has passed. We have lost 3 so far in the past 7 days and I haven't been able to figure out why as they were all fine during the day but not when we woke up the next day.

8. JasonVideo

Jul 25, 2012
    That's horrible! I can't even imagine! Does it have something to do with the heat source? So sorry!!

Jason

9. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I think the first 2 were just shipping stress as they passed within the first 24 hrs of receiving them with no warnings. And the 3rd on passed a week later but she was from the local feed store as an impulse buy, so who knows how she was treated before we adopted her.

We currently have an 12 day old one who's quarantined and Ive spent the last 24 hrs syringe feeding her and giving her some Corid. She's finally starting to show signs of improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by