1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 day old silkie chick question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cremesoda34, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    ok I have a 5 day old silkie chick that keeps opening it's mouth and stretching out it's neck. I hatched it out in the bator along with 5 other mixed chicks. The silkie chick is not from my chickens .I ordered some eggs from the auction here. I have never seen this before and my other chicks are not doing this. Is this normal ?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Personally I always thought it was a leftover behavior from when chickens were really birds and still fed in the nest (in the jungle, LOL). Mine are adults and chicks and it seems like they do it when they see me!

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:When ordering eggs or chicks, one can never be 100% sure of the health of the flock they came from. They may not be kept in the best conditions, they may not be bred to a deep gene pool, the hardiness of the line may not be known, or the particular hen's health may not be good.

This is why we should wait, as hard as it is, until the line is older. I'd say at least two. Rooster and hens. Not easy I know.

I'm not sure what to do with your chick but perhaps separate it and keep it warm and in a dark place to rest with food and water. It could be to hot in the brooder. As long as it's eating and drinking and pooping I wouldn't worry to much. Place a thermometer in the brooder at chick level. 85 to 90 is ok, even 80 to 85. Those 250 watters are just to darn hot in an indoor room. If in fact that is where they are being brooded. Red lights allow for some sleep but IMO not always enough.

Chicks need lots of sleep like babies. Don't keep them awake. Let them sleep. I only say this cuz I'm sure there are cases where folks are poking and prodding the little things to death.

I wish you well,

Rancher

4. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    Thank you all and yes we have them inside as I live in idiana and it's like 30 degrees outside. The chick seems fine,eating,drinking and pooping and runs around with the rest. It was just something I have never seen before with any of our chicks we have hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by