5 Day Old Still Not Eating Starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Mods - If you would rather this in the Emergancies/Injuries/Diseases, please move. I thought I'd get more help here, though. Sorry if I was wrong! [​IMG]

It's not cute anymore. I love the fact that "Floppy" follows my hand, loves to be held and even cuddles with me... But she needs to eat (I am assuming it's a she).

Floppy is one of my Speckled Sussex I picked up at TSC on Monday. Monday all I heard was a distress peep - considering the brooder was to small and the 4 week olds are very active and chest bumping, I assumed it was because of that. I dipped their beaks in water and such, so I thought they were all good. Tuesday night, again, the distress peeping. I singled out the chick, noticed an empty crop and decided to try feeding it and watering it. Floppy ate some yogurt and refused water. I put her back in. Later on, same chick, same distressed peeping. This time I gave her a dish of hard boiled egg yolk, yogurt and starter. She'd only eat the egg yolk after I mimicked pecking with my finger and used her head to show her how to peck. Okay... she must not have fully understood how to eat. This time Floppy drank water by drops from a dropper. After she was full an content, she crawled up my chest and curled up by my neck and peeped contently until she fell asleep for about 2hrs. Wednesday night, same thing. This time Floppy drank from the drinker herself. I skipped last night because there was no distressed peeping and thought maybe she figured it out. Everyone looked normal and active yesterday, so I didn't think about it.

I go out today after changing feeders, waterers and refilling everyone's dishes to see how everyone was doing. I noticed Floppy is laying in the brooder by herself, wings flopped out to the side and so tiny compared to the rest of the chicks she came home with. So, again, out with the egg, starter and water in the drinker and the eye dropper - just in case. She ate her fill of egg yolk, I had to force a bit of water, she searched out my hand, up my chest and happily dozed until I put her back in the brooder.

So...
    Anyone else have an issue with chicks not eating starter? No, she won't even eat it as a mash or finely processed.
    Can a chick live off of water with electrolytes and vitamins and egg yolk? She stopped eating the yogurt, too.
    If not, what else should I be trying? What should I supplement her diet with so she develops pretty much correctly.

Here's her pic after today's feeding - See why she's now named Floppy?
    [​IMG]

2. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have much advice other than to say it sounds like she's got the will to live at least if she's still going after five days. My chick that wouldn't eat or drink on her own died within two days of coming home [​IMG]

Hopefully someone with more chick experience will chime in, but it sounds like you're doing all the things I've read to try so hopefully keep doing them and maybe she will come around. It seems promising that she's come this far.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks. I'm working off of what I've read in the last month or so. I Just can't imagine a diet of hard boiled egg yolk and water is going to do her much good.
    Anyone else with something?

Thanks in advance!

4. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Well...
    She had 3 feedings today. Tonight's feeding was short because she still had some egg in her crop from earlier. I would still like to know if she can thrive and develop near properly on egg and electrolyte/vitamin water. Or should I just give reg. water? Or alternate? Something... I dunno.

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    For reluctant eaters, I have tried 2 things. Try wetting, the start n' grow with warm water. Just tepid, not hot. Have you also tried grinding the start n' grow to a finer mash? Those are my 2 suggestions.

In regards to living on egg and supplement water... well yes.. but not ideal. She will be vitamin deficient... Also, try mixin yolk with wet ground up start n' grow and see if you have any luck with that?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:I tried mixing the egg with the starter as a mash and as a fine mix. She just isn't having it.
    I am assuming her floppy wings are because of her lack of eating/lack of nutrition. I hope she doesn't stay that way...

7. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    OK this sounds stupid.. but have you tried offering some playground sand? A little grit might go a long way and might make her digestion feel better and eat more start n' grow. Try mix'in the yogurt in the start n' grow just kinda sneak it in there.... Those are my ideas.

8. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    LOL... Her brooder is filled with 2" of play sand. [​IMG]
    I'm going to finely grind the starter again and just sprinkle it on the egg yolk and mix it in, so there is some there. I know it didn't work the first time, but it's been 2 days since I tried it. Maybe Floppy will change her mind this time.

9. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    She's eating! She had a nearly full crop when I fed her the egg w/ ground starter on it. So, she has decided she's hungry enough to finally down the starter. I think she's picking at the finely ground stuff in the bottom of the feeder, actually. All I know is, she should live a healthy life now! It only took 6 days... LOL!

10. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by