5 days and I'm pretty much clueless

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlover210, Mar 16, 2008.

1. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Ok so I have read lots and lots of books about baby chicks. I'm getting 2 of my silkies on friday and 4 of my Rhode Island Reds a little while after easter (wel they might come at the same time but we arn't sure) I have to go too THe Familys hose on Easter. Can I leave my chicks at home? I watched a show (I was flipping through channels and something about chickens came up. Had to watch it) and it said the baby chicks had to be fed evry 2 hours or something. I'm confused I can't take them with me (can I?0 because she lives about 30-40 min. away and they will be about 1 week old and they would get cold. I'm confused. Is there routine check ups that I have to do every few hours.
    I'm confused.
    I have to re-read theese books. and all of them (or 2/6 will be coming in 5 days) I'm so excited but so confused please help.
    PLease

Oh and hate to put this up on this emergency topic but go to youtube.com and type in
    Chicken lover1
    Watch rate and comment on the movies [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Just give them there food and water. The really need water more then food I believe because the heat would dehydrate them.

3. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    that day should I put extra food and water or something?

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Chicks need to have food and water available to them 24 hours a day. You do need to check on them regularly during the day, especially during the 1st week. You need to make sure their waterers are free of debris and poop often.........Hope this helps! Also, make sure that you are keeping their temperature at 95 degrees for the 1st week and reducing it 5 degrees each week after. Enjoy!!!

***If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, just take extra precautions to make sure they have what they need.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If you get feeder and waterer that holds quart(mason) type jar that is enough water and food for a couple of days, provide them with heat/food/water and they will be fine.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    your only gone for that day right? Are you sure it was chickens and not wild birds?

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    To add to my post, put water on small block/2x4 to raise it up out of shavings so less likely to get filled with debris.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by