5 days from hatch date, temp at 80 for awhile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckcluck42, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Sorry to do a thread like this, but I need to know if anyone has had the temp drop to 80 for a period late in hatch and have everything end up okay?

I have no idea when the cord get unplugged, we got a new puppy and it is quite likely he was back there darn around and knocked it out of the socket.

I've been super excited waiting for this hatch, got lots of Maran x EE eggs in there, and Welsummer x Maran, and really want to see those mixes.

Fingers crossed for me guys.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have done this before I switched the plug off for a couple of moments so the bulb would go off as I was candling and forgot to switch it back on till about 2 hours later it was down to 74 but I still ended up with babies.
    I suppose it would depend how long it was off for, have you candled them since?
    I wouldn't worry too much as even though the outside temp dropped for a while it would take a lot longer to cool the inside of the egg down I think. [​IMG]

3. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    If it makes you feel any better, I've had two 12 hour power outages in which the temp dropped to 75 in the water wiggler in the past 10 days of incubation on 30 Silkie eggs. I candled today, and I have 20 of the 30 with movement. Imagine that?! So that being said, I still think you have quite a shot at the babies being just fine!

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Yes, yes it does make me feel better!! I have noooo idea how long the bator was off, could have been awhile. It's been hot in the house so that might have kept the temps up.

Glad you both had babies from your little episodes. [​IMG]

I'm candling tonight, haven't candled since day 7. Our last hatch had nothing hatch and I have been trying hard not to candle too much out of worry.

5. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Good luck with your candling - please, let me know how it goes! [​IMG]

6. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] Fingers crossed you get some babies this time [​IMG]

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    This little babies, are really hardy one time I was candling my eggs at night unplugged my home made incubator so the light wouldn't come on, long story short I left the incubator off from 10 at night till 9 am next morning and I still had beautiful babies I got 26 out 36 quails to hatch that time, the majority of the ones that didn't hatched were cuz they shrink wrapped at lockdown, but for the most part I didnt have any of them been affected by that power outage.

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    The EGGS' temps may not have dropped to 80. So they still got a chance!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  10. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    I had some ducks eggs that got down to 80 degrees just a couple days before lockdown. Unsure how long they were that cool but I suspect for a couple days. I ended up with 9 out of 10 hatching but they were 2 days later than planned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by