1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 days old and still not standing, advice needed and much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Emmet Mcknight, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Emmet Mcknight

Emmet Mcknight Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    5 day old Pekin bantam, strong, wriggly chirpy but cant stand/walk, legs straight out in front and toes pointing to the sky, just like a human sitting on the floor.

Thought it might be spraddle leg to start with so tried the band aid for 48hrs to no avail, then tried small foam brace and put him in a cup, stands up but its the cup that's stopping him from falling over. If I lift him from the cup and sit him in the brooder he just sits on his bottom with legs straight out in front, he will try to move by flapping his little wings but usually ends up on his side.

I can move his legs/joints freely.

I had two others from the same hatch which were not as bad and after 24hrs with the band aid they were cured.

I got a poultry tonic at the local pet store to added it to the water. He has water and crumb in front of him in the cup and must be eating and drinking as he is pooping. Hes strong, lively and vocal when lifted, I don't want to give up on him but don't know what else to try...

Please please let me know if you have come across this before, I have searched relentlessly on the internet for some direction.

2. Emmet Mcknight

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. Emmet Mcknight

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    Decided to cull this morning, getting no better. I tried [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by