5 days old, pictures - what colours will they be?

lauradrake21

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Hi All

We are Quail noobs and have 7 little babies here, now 5 days old (hatched on Day 17, on 20th May). 7 out of 11 eggs hatched so quite a good rate considering they were in a home made incubator without humidity regulation and some variation in temp (36 to 39.2 deg C). Though some needed assistance getting out of the egg. One egg had a baby inside but it looks to have died a bit before due date as it was still quite wet?? The other three weren't fertile.

I just wondered if any experts might be able to look at these pics and tell me what Coturnix varieties these might turn out to be? It looks like there is one quite blonde one, four darker stripeys (some with gingerish faces, some not) and two with faded stripes. Though I am a complete beginner so no idea what they might turn into!

Other than that they are under an infrared heat lamp in low light as some tow pecking started under a brighter red-tinted white bulb, but the lower light seems to have curtailed this behaviour (the flash in these images makes it look much brighter and whiter than it is). They all seem to be feeding and drinking well and happy with the straw base.

Any other advice for us first-timers to ensure health, welfare and survivability? I have been fretting so much about them as they are so small! (The black wires here link to thermometers which measure the temp under the red lamp and on the other side of the cage - under the lamp is 33-35 deg C, and on the other side it is 25-26 deg C).

Many thanks for any help!

Laura and Steven
Southampton, UK

Last edited:
Laura, I see some browns. In both red and wild variety. Two variations of golden, and possibly a fawn colored golden. Compare your chicks to the chicks on the first page of the Coturnix page. As they feather out it should be easier to tell.

Thanks! Yeah I have just hard to be sure. Is die off less likely as chicks age too? I have one with stumpy legs who I admit I had to help out but he is every bit like the others just shorter. I really want the beSt lives and welfare for these little ones. All 7 doing very well so far. Thanks again so much I am new to this forum so any advice very welcome. Laura.

The older they get, the less likely they are to drown/die. What protein level do you have these guys on? Are they on a game bird or turkey starter? They look happy and healthy.

The stumpy legged one has a higher risk of dying, yes, but I wouldn't stress over it or interfere. Let nature run its course is always best. If it fails to thrive and you've done everything you can, then pat yourself on the back and keep moving. That's my motto anyways.

The older they get, the less likely they are to drown/die. What protein level do you have these guys on? Are they on a game bird or turkey starter? They look happy and healthy.

I have them on ground up quail mix from my local farm store though it is not a chick starter mix and I don't know the protein content. However yesterday I also put in a hard boiled chicken egg from our chickens cut in half which they loved. Am going to go back to another farm store that does a game starter crumb to ensure best nutrition. I don't know if I can end up slowing or stumping their growth with the normal quail mix I have. Would you recommend that over what I have?

They still all seem happy and healthy running, flapping even getting some air now and real feathers coming through so not too bad for day 8 though last night their brooder went down to 29 deg C - a bit chilly...

RE: Stumpy, or Little Steve as we call him/her, lol, still going strong! The toe pecker still has some issues but low light keeps it to a minimum.

Thanks again for your help! :)

You could probably ask whomever you bought your quail mix from what kind of percentage protein it is. From what I recall grown quail need less protein, so you may be undercutting your chicks by a little. Could always just supplement their diet with some mealworms or crickets though.

You could probably ask whomever you bought your quail mix from what kind of percentage protein it is. From what I recall grown quail need less protein, so you may be undercutting your chicks by a little. Could always just supplement their diet with some mealworms or crickets though.

Well, I heard if you have a toe pecker in the gang mealworms can make it worse (do they look like their toes??) But the boiled egg should help. However insects sound like a good idea. I do want them to have a natural diet too. Can they catch crickets at a week or two old?

Well, I heard if you have a toe pecker in the gang mealworms can make it worse (do they look like their toes??) But the boiled egg should help. However insects sound like a good idea. I do want them to have a natural diet too. Can they catch crickets at a week or two old?
Mine are just over 2 weeks and eat the crickets from my hand!
love.gif
They seem to really love live food. But yes, they can catch crickets. Those birds are a lot faster than you'd expect.

Back
Top Bottom