5 dead-no signs of trauma-3 hens 2 roosters-please any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by disneygirl, Jul 5, 2010.

1. disneygirl

disneygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I have about 50 chickens (now) Americauna, Barred Rock, White Leghorn, Buff Op, and Reds. This is our 7th year with chickens. The 50 are all close to four months old and look & act healthy. Unil this last week. Came in to one Red hen dead, then the next day two white hens, now yesterday two Roosters one Buff and my perfect white rooster! They have fresh water daily, I am still feeding them Starter Feed, they have a huge coop with cement & a bit of straw inside , dirt floor outside, and durning the day they have been free ranging for about three weeks now. They have many places to shade and temp have reached 87 but coop stays in 70's.
    We are finding them dead with no clues as to what happened. I am there daily and see no weird behaviour. I have a friend who suggested I feed them less. Don't they self regulate? I have never had a feeding issue before. I also have a 7 year old daughter who loves them and likes to hold and chase. Could this be the problem?? I will keep her away until I figure out what is going on. We have looked over the dead ones and there is no bugs, the eyes looked clear. Anybody have a guess?

I have tended to chickens before our last flock was the same amount, and aside from an evil chicken hawk we have never had any issues. Please help I do not want to loos any more of my babies! This is so sad [​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Laura

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would be thinking poisoning of some sort ... Maybe look around thier free range are and see if someone didnt dump out anitfireeze, oil , pesticides etc.. with no outward signs thats the only thing that comes to mind....

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I also thought poisoning, maybe a plant that is poisonous

4. disneygirl

Apr 17, 2010
    Coop is in same place we had our last flock, and there are not chemicals on the property, no spills and such. No new plants.... i am at a loss.

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Did there feed get wet? I've heard this will do it.
    Good luck

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I would call your state vet and see if they can do a necropsy.. sometime they charge a small fee or nothing at all just to be sure you don't have anything nasty on your hands... worth a try. Hope you get it figured out.

7. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Oh my gosh ... sounds like dejavu. I'm going through the SAME issue. Healthy chickens, playful, running to me, on starter feed despite being 6 months old, I clean often to prevent diseases, clean water and now 6 dead & 3 still fighting with one recouping nicely. Please keep us all updated because maybe you can be of some help in someone's situation, like mine. I only wish you were not going through this. It ripes your heart out.

I would think your daughter playing with the chickens would not hurt them but I'm no expert on the chasing part. Please take no offense but it's not something I would do "just because". Other then that ... maybe someone else can help in this area.

Here is my thread ... maybe you can find similarities that can better help you & some offered possible disease advice. My hugest prayers & sympathies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=367313

8. disneygirl

Apr 17, 2010
    Thank you all. After reading around I am wondering if they are getting crop bound (new to this and not sure if i am saying it right) seems to me I do recall the crop area looking larger than normal on a couple white ones, my fav White perfect Rooster too. But the other breeds I did not see this and they are dying too. They have had access to tall grass and wonderful clover. Does this kills birds so quickly? Only problem is I dont see any of them acting weird, I just come in each morning to a couple more dead. i am afraid to go in today. Could so many get an impacted crop at the same time?

I am going to keep them cooped up for now, tons of fresh water and easy on the chow. Thank you all for your ideas. I have never had any problems like this with Chickens and it is just heart breaking.

I will call the State Vet as well.

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Do you use or especaiily if you recently have started using hay or straw then yes they can impacted that quickly

10. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    CoopCrazy ... how does straw effect them? This one is new to me. If it was crop, would there be any warning signs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by