-5 degrees and worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Jan 6, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm worried about my chickens, it's so cold here windchill -5 they have lots of straw and coop door shut and drafts blocked with tarp. Buff Orpington and new hampshire red 3 chickens total . Coop is small with 2by4 roost. Will they be OK?! Thanks guys!!!

2. Allisha

Allisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes!
    if the coop has no drafts, or minimal drafts, they will not experience the windchill in the first place.
    Our chickens have a slighty drafty, very tall coop, and up here it continuously goes down to -10, without windchill.
    And some of our chickens are not that cold hardy.

3. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    It's harder on you than on them. Keep saying to yourself they have down coats. And if you still are feeling worried Google chickens in Alaska. If they can survive up there, yours will be fine. (Saw a really cool picture of a guy who broods day old chicks outside using those big concrete blocks. That being said most animals create heat when digesting, so feed them some goodies just before bed and give them plenty of food and water that is not solid ice. We all worry a little bit when the weather turns colder (even if we won't admit it). Okay maybe the people living up North don't but all us Southerners do.....

4. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks guys, that does make me feel better! I think I just needed hear other chicken people to tell me it's going to be okay. They are more like my pets then anything, and I'm a newbie at this so I'm so happy there is this website! I've learned a lot from smart, experienced people like you all! I think I will Google those Alaska chickens before I go to bed ha! Maybe I'll sleep better! Thanks again guys!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh I did do some goodies, mealworms,black oil sunflower seeds and scartch grains. I didn't know that about the heat and digestion. Good to know! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    I was the same way when I started. Glad we could help you sleep better. It's great to have others who can relate and share their experiences.

7. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    yes it sure is! thanks again you all [​IMG] maybe next year I'll be giving newbies advice [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by