1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

# 5 drops dead ~ need help ~ please !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have made a number of post concerning some of my chickens getting sick and then dieing. Last night I came home to one of my big R.C.R.I.R. dead as dirt. [​IMG] (Home hatched) She had an abscess on her ankle I had been treating but I do not think it had anything to do with her dieing. Part of treatment was 1/2 cc penicillin the last 4 days. I did notice she was showing of the same behavior yesterday and the day before that the other chickens exhibited before they die. They just start getting a "out to lunch" attitude. They may (or may not) go out with the others to free range. They don't seem as interested in pecking around as the other birds. This progresses to just sitting around for a few days before they die. (Even when I bring them in and try to save them.) Others get slightly O.T.L. for a couple of days, then boom fall over dead. [​IMG] 7 mo. old, not from the same flock, hen and roos. Treated flock(s) two weeks ago for coclliosis. Did a necropsy on the last hen. The only thing I found (don't know what I am looking for) was what seemed to be a huge liver, but it looked healthy. The gizzard was filled with black grit that looked like ground up road tar. The heart was more of a round shape about the size of a golf ball. The crop was full. I would like to post the pic's but I only have tether from my phone for Internet ~ extremely slow ~ or not at all for posting pictures. I think I will necropsy this last hen also. It is very cold, rainy, and windy here today. I think she will "keep" till this afternoon. The last hen I froze and despite a day 'thawing' she was still frozen in the middle. Ick ![​IMG] Any ideas / help B.Y.C family appreciated ! Thanks !

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It may be best to have the necropsy done at a lab. That would tell if it were bacterial, viral, fungal, etc..
    When you're losing that many birds it's better to find out for sure and it looks like it's slowly moving through the flock.
    I'm sure there is a vet school in TX in addition to a state lab. It's not that expensive.

You can't freeze them for a necropsy though. Soak them and suds them up with dishwashing liquid, wrap in plastic and refrigerate till you can get it to the lab.
    Another option is to take a live bird exhibiting the same symptoms. They'll dispatch the bird and have a fresh specimen that will give more conclusive results.

3. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Thanks ! I very well try and do that. Will contact my equine vet for more information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by