1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 eggs...4 chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyBirdLady21, Sep 9, 2011.

1. CrazyBirdLady21

CrazyBirdLady21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    Is there a logical reason as to why one of my chickens is laying 2 eggs a day? [​IMG] My neighbor has chickens, but mine are in a closed pen with a roof...so it's not them. Any explanations?

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe one of them hid an egg for a day or two? Double ovulation usually leads to double-yolked eggs. Unless someone is playing a prank on you, I'm stumped! [​IMG]

3. CrazyBirdLady21

CrazyBirdLady21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    It's happened twice now...and I don't think my parents would put more eggs in there...maybe I should keep a watch [​IMG]

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    There are some people who will tell you otherwise but chickens CAN lay two eggs in a day. It is not the same as double yolks and happens rarely but it DOES happen. I wouldn't worry about it because it likely won't continue.

5. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We have 5 pullets and we just got our first eggs today, 1 lone green/blue that came from one of the EE's maybe and then I went back out and there were 13 white eggs piled up in a corner where I had previously looked and all was there was our white pullet Fancy. There were no eggs under that I could see and I have not seen any there until today.

6. motherof7

motherof7 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Pinetop, AZ
    I have one black star who started laying very sporadically 3 weeks ago. She has since laid 2 eggs at a time on 3 different occasions. I have been in the coop with her or just outside 2 of the times so I know she did it. No one else has started laying yet and her eggs are still little.

7. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    What time are you checking for eggs? Sometimes I get 4 in a day from three chooks, but it's because I checked around 3pm or so the day before and another was laid between then and the chooks bedtime. I also got two in one hour from the same chook once, and I suspect the first egg got held up and stayed in the canal somewhere until the second egg was ready lay, so the second one gave the "stuck" one a push to the exit. LOL

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    That's nothing! I have 2 eggs out of 4 hens,,,, oh wait. Never mind. [​IMG]

9. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    i swear it happens..We have 8, and had two days where I got nine...in a row, then it stopped..The previous days, I know we got 8 because we count...hasn't happened since

10. cmcgowen

cmcgowen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Middletown
    This has also been happening to me. I get 6 good eggs and one egg that has no shell about every rhird day. This egg has a membrain like covering that will allow you to pick it if you are carefull. Any Ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by