1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 eggs, 5 different results - same hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scbatz33, Feb 28, 2009.

1. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    ok, set 5 eggs 22 days ago from our RIR hens/barred rock roo. I am surprised by the results...

1 totally infertile

1 stopped developing at about 10 days

1 stopped developing at about 15 days (wasn't sure on this one left it in even though air sack was too large compared to others)

1 started weeping a really nasty green goo - I knew it was rotted - it blew up when I tapped it to open it! GAG!!

1 hatched right on day 21....
    [​IMG]
    Is this common? I had too many variations for it to be one thing, right?

Suggestions, comments, ideas?

Oh, I used the 1588 with egg turner for incubation and a LG for hatching. The hatcher temp fluctuates - I don't know how to keep it from that! - but it was close to 100 w/ about 70% humidity. Although this is probably fairly irrelevant since on ly one egg truly made it to 18 days.

2. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Oh, I candeled at 10 days and was really good about not opening the thing 100 times a day! Girl scout promise!!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is the nature of hatching. You can't be sure initially what will develop and continue to hatch.

One thing to keep in mind - the feed for a backyard laying hen is not the same feed needed for hens and roosters used for breeding for hatching eggs.

It could be something as simple as lack in a nutritional substance, it could be an incubation mishap, it could be bacteria transfered from hand to egg shell, it could even be the gas exchange from the bad rotting egg that slowed and stopped the development of the others.

To be more scientific you would have to set a full incubator and note the outcomes. Percentages are usually based on an average 100 chick hatch.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Well that just the way the egg hatches lol, I have had many variations like that. you might want to put a mirror (with no sharp edges) and a plush toy in your brooder. you are lucky lone chicks make the gentlest hens. [​IMG]

Make sure you play with it often so it is comfortable with people. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The green goo may indicate bacteria. Bad hatchability can sometimes be traced to the breeders' diets. Sorry the hatch didnt go well.

6. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    ah we all posted at the same time lol

7. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:I'm thinking about the rotting thing passing bacteria..but I wonder when it started to rot? It seemed to candle normally.

Also, what feed program do you recommend? I am just on a laying ration and some scratch grains right now. But once my chick get production age, I would want them to be maxing out nutritionally for hatching eggs.

8. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:He'she is in the same room with my week old chicks...he seems to be ok with that since they can see and hear each other. Not like our fist lone chick who peeped his head off for 4 days til the next one hatched!!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I feed a mix of gamebird feed, flock raiser and other things as well as laying feed.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Game bird breeder feed helped my hatchability during a period when I began having chicks pip on the wrong end, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by