5 eggs, now nothing...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aidensmomma, Aug 4, 2011.

1. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    2 days ago my son saw our Americauna (sp?) sitting in a flower bed next to one of our out buildings and went to investigate...what do ya know, he found one freshly laid blue egg and 3 previously laid eggs. well, being new chicken owners and those being our first eggs, you can imagine the excitement at our house. we immediately went to the coop and found on of the RIR's in the nesting box and I actually watched her lay an egg. SO exciting for us!!! now, 2 days later, we haven't seen another one yet. I've decided to keep them in the coop for most of the morning so that they get used to laying in the boxes but still nothing. is it normal for them to lay their first eggs and then take a break?

2. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    bump

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Quote:Just thought I'd let you know we're not actually allowed to "bump" things. I got in trouble for it when I was new because I didn't know.

I've heard that hens new to laying don't lay regularly for a while, plus I don't know about where you're at but here in texas it's pretty darn hot and even hens that are pretty regular layers aren't laying as frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by