5 Gallon Galvanized Waterer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by plapczynski, May 12, 2008.

1. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    I bought a 5 gallon galvanized waterer (the metal ones). I set the waterer on an old oak barn board (about 12" wide and 2" thick) that was pretty close to level. I filled the waterer, put the lid on and it filled about 1/2 way up the rim of the bowl part. I came back an hour later and it was all the way full and slowly dripping on the ground.

Took it back and got another one at TSC. The same story. I went back to the plastic 3 gallon ones, but I know that I will need a metal one for the winter eventually. The board was leveled in both directions with a 2 foot level, and it looked very close, both with and without me standing on it (200+ lbs) and I would think most places in a barn aren't that level.

It this a bad lot or did I do something wrong?

Paul

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    it sounds like maybe it wasn't on completely tight so there wasn't a proper vacuum? Either operator error or a machining glitch.

Pat

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you have the cover completely down over the tank and hooked on the pin?

Jim

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Was the washer inside it up flat against the inner wall? I've got one that moves away from the wall and if I don't push it back up against the wall all the water leaks out.

5. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I used a 3gal plastic water all last winter with out any major problems. NW Ohio. When it was really cold I would only fill it halfway...what I knew they would use in a day (6 hens and 1 roo). It froze a few times but I just brought it in ran hot water over it to thaw, and wallah ready to go again. I dont have a heated barn either everyone survived just fine.

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    wouldn't a metal one freeze too?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a heater that works for either metal or plastic.

8. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    When you put the top back on did you "twist" it in place?

I had 2 of the three gallon waterer's and they were the best thing since sliced bread, I used them for years before I moved, but I guess it's possible you got a bad batch.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I got a 3 or 5 gallon plastic water from tsc. it is the one where the base come all the way off. Never buy them They leak like there is no tommorrow.

10. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    no matter what i did with the metal one we bought the darn thing ALWAYS leaked.
    went and bought the $5 plastic one from TSC and haven't had a problem since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by