5 gallon nest buckets for barred rock/ heavy breed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vermontgal, Nov 2, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Is a 5 gallon bucket large enough for a nest box for a heavy breed like a barred rock?

Do the chickens go in the nest boxes before they are ready to lay? Should I do something to attract them to the nest boxes, so they think that the nest boxes are the hip-hop-happening place to hang out?

My gals are 18 weeks, and I put the nest boxes in there about a week ago, to get them used to the buckets. They don't show any interest. I have put a chicken in the bucket a couple of times - they seem unimpressed and basically pop right back out. My large (fat) barred rock fits, but she wouldn''t have much space to move around...

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I use 5 gallon buckets for my heavy breeds and they work just fine. They will go in the nest boxes when they are getting ready to lay, it just takes time.

3. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickentoes, Your avatar gives me hope! :)

Actually, I have sort of forgotten that I got the chickens for eggs. They seem like pets, and good garden workers - the eggs will be a bonus when they show up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by