5 have pipped since 12pm but not zipping agh!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vetgirl00us, May 18, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I am not opening the bator this time. Lockdown was supposed to be today and when I went to check and take eggs out of the turner I had an egg with a pip in it. My temp is steady and I put a wash rag in the bator so my humidity is now 65% and holding. I now have 5 pips after just checking thru the window but they are not zipping. I can still hear cheeping. I'm very worried and nervous. I had chicks die last time when I put too much humidity on the bator but I don't want stuck chicks either. My ambient humidity is about 48%.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

65% is PERFECT!!!!! Give them time to hatch. By the time they pip, most chicks are needing a rest. Of course the one I now call Osama Bin Laden went from pip to hatch in 15 minutes.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    I just had my first hatching today. 5 so far with 2 almost out. It can take a long time between pipping and zipping. The first pipped last night about 9pm and didn't emerge until about 1pm today. So, be patient. They'll come.

4. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    I just had my first hatching today. 5 so far with 2 almost out. It can take a long time between pipping and zipping. The first pipped last night about 9pm and didn't emerge until about 1pm today. So, be patient. They'll come.

5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    thanks guys! i have an osama! he pipped, zipped and is out drying. sooooooo cute! its so much nicer not having dead chicks this go round! i have 4 more that have pipped and im waiting but i HAVE NOT opened my bator!

6. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I had one that pipped in the morning and didn't hatch until 12 hours later. This was on day lock down day and I wasn't ready for any hatching yet! Needless to say, I quickly got everything together and did lockdown.

7. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    that's pretty much what i've had to do today. I'm glad I got home from work early.

8. missionarywife

missionarywife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    How fun! I have 6 hatched and 2 pipped. Going to be gone for the day and hoping to come home to a bunch more.

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hope you came back to a bunch, but I have known them take a whole 24 hours about it,
    Sandie

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    My duck eggs nearly always take 48 hours from pip to zip. It's AGONIZING. So 12 hours seems like not much to me, lol! I wouldn't worry for at least 24, anyway. It's probably fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by