5 Hens and no laying???

kenbrackins

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Hello All,

I have 3 silkies an Old English bantam, and a sebright. 3 of them had been laying almost daily for several months. A couple of months ago they were traumatized by a hawk killing one. Now they are not laying any eggs at all. Could that incident cause them not to lay? I give them laying mash every other day and scratch- table scraps daily. But nary an egg. I refuse to buy eggs at store but now getting close to resigning that policy. Any advice appreciated.

I have sorta the same issues, also a hard moult and yes, terrorized by hawks roosting in the trees over the net top of the hen yard. If we're lucky, 1 egg a day out of 5 girls.
Soon they will start again, give them a while to deal with the stress.

So sorry for your loss.
hit.gif
I believe the hawk incident could have caused them to stop laying. I remember the first time a Red Tailed Hawk flew close over my birds, they headed straight for their covered run and coop. I was surprised because it was their first encounter with a hawk. I had been seeing the hawk on the fence posts. They hadn't started laying yet.

You do no that to keep them laying they require 14 hours of light right? If you want them to lay in the fall/winter when the days are shorter than 14 hours you need to subliment their light.

I've had the extra light going on in my coops for a month now at least. I keep upping the time as the days get shorter. That might help you out.

Back
Top Bottom