5 hour old chick with deformed toes - please advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JLS, Jul 12, 2011.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    This is the 26th day and my first of 18 eggs has finally hatch. Yet, the OEG chick has deformed toes. To be exact: on both feet the outermost toe is fused to the middle toe. Do you think the chick will be able to walk/have a normal life?

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    wait and see. It cant hurt to wait for a few days.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    It's hard to tell. I think that if she is able to learn to walk with her toes this way, she'll be able to go about life normally. You may just need to spend a little extra time with her making sure she can go about as she needs to. I think it's just one of those things you need to wait and see how it goes.

Congrats on your baby! I hope you have many more. [​IMG]

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I took the chick out of the brooder today. It still cant remain standing. It sits back on it's legs with it's head up high then it topples over. Once it falls over it cannot get back up [​IMG] I will wait in agony until it learns to stand.

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Does she have any movement in her feet at all? Can you manipulate the legs and toes? Just wondering if it is only the toes, or if the hocks are effected too. Could you possibly post a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by