5 hours, alot of blood & guts but a freezer full.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tugger1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Tugger1

Tugger1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Woodlands
    Well we finally got rid of the Cornish X's. It took 3 of us 5 hours to process 44 of the smelly buggers!!
    I kept out one of the smaller hens for din-din tonight and just for fun weighed her and she was 8.4 dressed!!! I can't wait to weigh one of the big roostets as we have a lot of big boys!!

2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

[​IMG]

Wish I had some to put up myself. It's looking like I only have 2 roosters out of the 20 straightrun I picked out this spring.

3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    congratulations... you guys must be speed demons, there is no way we could process that many in 5 hours! We processed 7 last weekend, 8 Saturday, 7 yesterday and have 40 more ready in about 2-3 weeks and another 29 in about 6 weeks!

4. Tugger1

Tugger1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Woodlands
    We had it down to a T.

Hubby and neighbour would go catch and kill, then hubby would dip and pluck (we had a wicked plucker!!) Then the neighbour and I would gut and clean. We would do 10 at a time then bag and run to the freezers we would take a 10 minute beer break and go at'er again.

The neighbour roasted one last night when all was said and done he said it was delish.....we had pizza [​IMG]

5. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Quote:It would be a good idea to let them "rest" in the refrigerator a day or two before freezing them - It makes the meat more tender.

6. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Quote:I read this a lot but has anyone ever actually "tested" to see if this is true?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I read this a lot but has anyone ever actually "tested" to see if this is true?

If I can get a bird into the pot before it goes stiff, it is eatable. If you let it get stiff, which can be in as little as an hour, it can be very rubbery. The longer it sits, the more tender it gets as it starts to break down.

8. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Aahhhh! Nothin like a beer break! Good Job.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009

Yeah. The meat is like chewing tires once rigor has set in. Delicious tires yes, but I don't like my meat bouncing on the plate.

We just processed 30 CXs over the weekend and I am glad it's over. Processing birds in 85 degree heat is miserable. And stinky. Those babies were huge! I have never done CXs before now and I can see what all the hype is about. Those things were the size of small turkeys at 9 weeks.

10. EZZIEMAE

EZZIEMAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    WESTERN NEW YORK
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by