1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 Little chicks in FLorida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Runfox, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Runfox

Runfox Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    My wife wanted chickens again. We had some in out backyard when we lived in Miami, our neighbors must have thougt we were nuts. She wants fresh eggs, so she comes home with 5 little RhodeIsland Red chicks. She says they are guarenteed to be all female. I sure hope so cause I dont want to hear a rooster crowing in my back yard . Our Jack Russell Terriers in the back make enough noise without a rooster crowing.
    So I put the chicks in a small wire dog kennel in our bathroom for now. We have an older female jack in the house. When I showed her the chickens she was already to get them. So I have a lot of training to do with her to "let them Be"!! My wife si so funny , she told me , I have my 5 little God Chicks, and she proceeds to look for the names of 5 famous women evanglists.
    So I am of course tasked with building her a coop. And since we now live on 5 acres in the woods, in central florida, I will have to do some planning, to keep them from all the hungry wild critters here. She got a laugh when I told her I registered to this forum with my usual name " Runfox"! And of course we do have plenty of wild fox in our woods.
    This time around I want to make sure the chikens are a little bit easier to manage, so I'll clip the flight feathers to keep them from flying over our fence. I never thought of doing that till I read that on your forums. Whats a good way to get them to follow you , so you can easily get them back in their coop when needed. We had to chase them around in Miami, I dont intend to repeat that. Itold my wife to make sure she handles them a lot so they are not afraid of humans, and to facilitate wing clipping. I figure Ill make sure we have some sort of chicken treat with us when he handle them so they know, humans are good , and learn to follow us. Then I have learn what do chickens like as a treat? I have read table scraps, what else? Maybe buy some fishing worms??

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They love worms.

Welcome to BYC!

We are so glad you found us.

Just be certain to train the dogs around them or they'll be history.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    [​IMG] from our small farm in West Georgia. We love 400 plus poultry ---- chickens, guineas, ducks, geese, turkeys, and bunnies and milk goats and our garden....Yes we full time farm and are presently shipping eggs but nothing bigger.

Be careful with those dogs...We do have one trained guard dog in with our pen of 38 turkey hens and I say a prayer each time we walk there..that all is well.

Come see us when you can! We love BYC and hope that you enjoy your time here. All the leadership is just great and so wise and caring....Enjoy!!!!!

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Ours love plain yogurt (make sure you get the stuff with lots of cultures), they get it once a week. They will do anything for yogurt! [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome. Good luck with the dog to chicken ratio.[​IMG]

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless