5 mo. old Blue Cochin..coughing, sneezing, lungs sound rattlie!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Oct 21, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I bought him from the Lucasville chicken show. He was okey when I brought him home. Now he sounds terrible. I started him on Sulmet last night and put him in his own cage. Is this just a cold. His other owner kept him in a pin. He showed him in the show. I have let him be free range since I brought him home. Can this be contagouis? He acts fine other than the way he sounds. How long should I keep him on the antiboitics? I plan to keep him caged and on it for 10 days so that I can monitor his input on food and Sulmet. Any other advice?

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Help!!! my rooster is still sick. What else can I do?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Did you quarantine him when you brought him home? If not, you may see the rest of your flock come down with the same symptoms. Sulmet will only help with Coryza, if I recall. Tylan or Gallimycin would be the preferred antibiotics for respiratory stuff, but I'm not the one to ask about this because I would cull him, not treat him. I refuse to treat respiratory illness in chickens because they are ALL contagious and can decimate your flock.

EDITED TO ADD: the only thing that is probably not contagious is a sinus infection, but I would always go on the assumption that it IS contagious to be safe.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have one that has had a respiratory issue for about a month and it has NOT passed to any other birds.

I have been trying different meds. Someone mentioned Baytril and I'll be trying that today. On the top of the emergency board there is a thread with links to info. One thought was it could be a worm, so mine will be wormed as well.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one that has had a respiratory issue for about a month and it has NOT passed to any other birds.

If that's true, you've been very lucky.​

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is usually at some point of stress that chickens begin to exhibit symptoms of a disease that has lain quietly in their systems for a long time. Moving a bird is extremely stressful and it is then you see problems. Chickens do not get colds. They get respiratory illnesses that are contegious. Healthy birds that contract the illness often may not show their own symptoms until too have been under stress.

Bioseciruty measures are very important and should be followed at all costs. Ask gumpsgirl who nearly lost her complete flock this past summer from one little chick.

You are extremely lucky no other birds are showing illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by