5 Mont old RIR and no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimsChickies, Nov 8, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Hello! I have two 5 month old RIR hens that are still not laying. I know I switched them to layer food much to early (on the advice of someone from our local feed store), is there anything i can do to try to get them started?

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    it may take another month. mine started at 6 months 1 week

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They all take their own time to mature. Anywhere between 5-8 months can be normal.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 2 RIR's, and 4 RIR mix. They are 5 1/2 months old, and 1 is not laying yet. Of course, there are 2 others that have laid a few eggs in the past, but seemed to have stopped.
    There was another one who was escaping the run, layn an egg then returning back to the run. After several days of trying to follow her, I caught her in the act- laying a egg in a pile where there were 12 other eggs in a corner of a neighbors falling down shed. I also found 4 eggs in another neighbors unused dog house.
    So, I have a feeling she MIGHT be laying- I just havent found the stash yet.
    Keep an eye on yours. It may be a few more weeks till she lays, or she might be hoarding them all somewhere

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My three RIRs are 8 months old and not laying yet, though the breeder types are later layers than the hatchery types, so they're not really late, per se. My hatchery RIRs laid at 19 weeks old.

6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have 7 and 8 month old's that are not yet laying. I have Bantam Frizzles that are 10 months and are showing no signs of wanting to do so....I guess they will lay when they are good and ready!! At least that is what I have been told. Good Luck!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] DJ

7. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by