5-Month Ameraucana Fine Thursday - Passed This Morning

Jimshaw

Hatching
Jan 23, 2021
Hello All,

Thankful for this forum and all it contributes. New to the site and having chickens.

Thursday our 5 month old Ameraucana hen was fine, Friday she was laying on her side with her leg twitching.

Upon inspecting, found 2 large irritated wounds. Cleaned her up, applied antibiotic ointment and kept her hydrated with pedialyte.

Came to check on her this morning and she had passed :(

I am attaching photos of her wounds, if you can please provide any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Should I be worried with my other chickens?

Attachments

• PXL_20210122_232349221.jpg
    PXL_20210122_232349221.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 8
I am so sorry.
How many chickens do you have?
Is she the bottom of the pecking order?
Do you provide multiple feeders and waters?

My first thought was pecking and maybe she wasn’t being allowed to the food or water.

Thank you for the reply!

I had 11 now 10.

I have a water tube with 12 cup waterers attached. As for food, same deal. I have never really seen an issue with sharing between them but I'm also only with them a coupe hours a day.

I don't know who's that the top of the pecking order, they can all be pretty feisty to one another at times.

It looks more like a predator attack. Could anything get into your coop? What is your setup like? Dirt floor, type of fancing wire, any small openings around doors or windows? Do you have a rooster? Raccoons can reach through chicken wire with hands, and they and foxes can burrow into the coop floor, as well a weasels which can get through a 1 inch opening, are possible. Was the coop open or tightly closed? Sorry for your loss.

I think so.. I'm definitely pushing the limit on space but they barely utilize the full run half the time. It certainly could be the case. Here is some photos
PXL_20210123_195740418.jpg
PXL_20210123_195730890.jpg
PXL_20210123_195718812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom