5 month chicken being pecked on by the others.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iheartmaddy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. iheartmaddy

iheartmaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a 5 month old Rhode Island hen who is being pecked at by my other three hens. The pecking only occurs while they are in the coop/run. She usually jumps up on the stick I attached to the run to avoid their beaks. She is eating, but only after the other 3 are done. They do let her drink with them without causing a fuss. When I let them loose in the afternoon, they seem to get along some what. Mainly its my older Rhode Island hen who will chase her and peck (she is not pulling out feathers). Sometimes I catch all 4 dirt bathing with no incident. I'm a little confused why the violent pecking only occurs inside the run. Is there something I can add to their food or water to maybe calm them down?

The background on my 5 month old is I did have two. I bought them when they were chicks and her sister turned out to be a brother. Since I live in the city I can not have roosters and had to send him away to a farm. When he left last weekend she began to make these awful moaning sounds and this is when the pecking started. Any advise will be appreciated!

Thank You

My 5 month old RIR...Nellie!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I have read here to remove the dominet hen from the group for a few days , then reintrodue her, this will shake up the pecking order, may help

3. montanamountainchick

montanamountainchick New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    I'd give that a try too...separate the dominant hen for a few days. Let us know what happens.

4. iheartmaddy

iheartmaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Separating the dominant hen is what I thought I would end up doing and glad for the reassurance. I will be setting up a new home for her today. Thank you for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by