1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 month old Barr rock girl with swollen area and maggots in large area below vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Read quite a few post first... before asking
    Notice when checking coop and putting back and extra roost that one of my new gals was on the roost in their small coop....it was barely after 7 pm. the others were out running around still..
    she is one of the largest girls of the new group of 7...
    when I stroked her she got up and I saw a somewhat wet butt... so I felt and her behind feathers were stiff..
    I had noticed serveral morning that their poop tray had some runny poo on it... somewhat yellow.. I thought cause of the heat and they are still mostly doing practice egs. even coule days in a row , runny no shell no membrane mess in nest box too
    Brought her in... Hubby started cleaning her in a large round pan in the bathtub
    hubby noticed he was seeing maggots while using his hand to clean her feathers
    so we lifted her up.. He said it was a big cut. took long time soaked sevral times. he hoped he got most of th maggots off her, he thought with a bunch of q tip.s..... we had her on a big brown tray on my lap so we couyld see the maggots.....
    , He was so tired as this took a long time...well after he left to check on other chickens and close their gates...etc..
    I put her on a old portable roost we had for them as chicks. on the cleaned off brown tray. I got down on floor with flashlight. still seeing more maggots crawl around the edges of this big circle of somwhat yellow and hardened area.. about three inches in diameter.. she did not carry on either she was so sleepy...I took off quite a few more with mostly tweezers...
    she was getting so tired and wanted to keep turning around..... I kept spaying mostly water i a spray bottle one time peroxied sparyed her...... but was concerned peroxide could be too strong...I kept trying to drown them with water in spary bottle while she was standing up..
    It got to be so late..... I told Hubby it looks like an internal tumor grwing out,, to me..
    He was way to tired to come help again...
    so she sleeping on the roost in the bathroom over the big brown plastic tray. she poo twice before I turned off the light in the bathroom. Shw would not drink an water either
    so I guess will start in tomorrow, but she may be too alert an feisty...
    so what more can I do.... who knows how deep they are in her....??
    Thanks yall Im sosorry and want to cry for her...
    It late and the chickens outside will be up and around in less than 2 hrs.....

2. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    I'm so sorry to hear how poorly your girl is. You have worked so hard at trying to help her. I hope someone can give you some advice on what to do further. Saline solution can also help to clean wound and get maggots out....

3. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Hope one of the experienced keepers will respond soon to help you. Good luck.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I want to start off by saying that I am sorry [​IMG]. I've not had a lot of experience with maggots. Twice and neither time turned out well.

The important thing is to keep her isolated as the others will eat the maggots and pick at her. Can you post a pic of the hen? That may help determine what the swelling is from.

You may want to consider tubing some water to her if she is not drinking.

Maggots are sometimes used as a healing agent, but like I said, it's never worked that way with my chickens. I'll try to do some research for you today after work and post asap. Take care.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I just remember reading about leeches for removing dead etc stuff......
    she is still on the little portable roost made of of a 2by 4 and 2 4 by 4 ;s on that tray... in the bathroom.
    We ,now this morning ,moved her little roost off the floor to a small chest of drawers. so we can see her bottom better....
    we found a small tweezers with round ens I had bought years ago.. I believe the pkg. saod "blackhead remover"....
    she wont drink. she is scared but no carrying on.. Her poo was a lot of light yellow... Hubby thinks its egg plus poo.... I just think its an infection type poo.
    she hasnt gotten off that little roost even...
    I doubt if that local vet will see her.... they wouldnt see Baby girl (my first hen) last two times.. said they arent familar with chickens, sort of...
    Hubby has something he needs to do at noon so need something soon
    thanks yall

6. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Sometimes you need to weigh up the amount of pain, suffering and trauma an animal will go through during the healing process with the trauma of making a call to end it all. I wish I could offer more, or better advice, so sorry.

7. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    not in such a hurry. she is such a sweet patient. she is staying on that little roost mostly Hubby bought some of that spay foam type saline solution... overpriced at 7 dollars a bottle or can...
    He had to leave for his appt. he did use some or most of it before he left....I saw a few more after he finished. The blasted things are so elusive
    his pic from last nite shows it pretty well. after reading and printing out about FLY STRIkes. he thinks it prob is..
    I dont know how to delete the pic of the cartoon chicken I was trying to do the larger image of her hind end instead.. thanks all

How do I cancel an image on here LIKE THAT ROOSTER ON my post? wont delete
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    I'd like to think of it as a Before and After photo (if it was a hen :)
    I do hope everything works out well for your girl [​IMG]

Maybe if you edit post you can delete the photo, it's not happened to me yet....

9. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    there was only image properties.. when i right clicked.......I tried 0 and it said a number so I put 1 .....I dont understand
    welll she is eating and drinking some my little Sweetheart ...
    I call her one of my PIGGY GIRLS....LOL
    ane I pray Jesus saves her...such an innocent animal has to suffer.......I got to get out thee after and try to check out my ohers So are so elusive. will prob have to wait till tonight while they are on the roost.... Maybe I will get some sleep afterwhile.....
    no one told me chicken raising was hard if one cares that is....and so rewarding too
    Thanks yall

10. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Where there's life, there's hope. Well done on what you and hubby managed to achieve so far. Rest well tonight and let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by