5 month old chickens not laying yet.

mjchickenfarmer

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Hi, all. We have 3 Easter eggers that are 5 months old that have not started laying yet. Are we doing something wrong or is this normal? We also got a black amaranth (8 months old) at a poultry swap that was supposed to be laying and when we got her home she layer an egg and then promptly eat it. Obviously we have kept her away from the flock but it has been 2 weeks and she hasn't layer an egg since. Any advice? We feel like we are doing something wrong....

What are you feeding them?

Where are you located?

How many hours on sunlight?

Do they free range?

5 months is a little young to expect eggs. 6 is sort if the average but just like people-ladies, every hens matures at her own pace. I would say 5-8 months is the normal range depending on the breed (in my personal experience).

Chickens are very sensitive to change. I new environment will easily disrupt egg laying. Give her some time to get used to her new home and make sure she has lots of healthy food and calcium. Hopefully it's just the stress of change.

What are you feeding them?

Where are you located?

How many hours on sunlight?

Do they free range?

We have a tractor so they eat grass but we also give them layer feed (purina). We are in southern Maryland and we get about 12 hours of sun light right now. They do not free range.

With Easter eggers, I have always had some that started laying by 20 weeks like every other breed. This time I had one laying at 18 weeks & 2 more laying at 20. Light would make the biggest delay at this time of year. At 23 weeks I now have about 6 hens of twelve laying. I have gotten 48 eggs in a month. My sister has chickens from the same group that I raised until about 15 weeks & with no light, she has gotten only 3-4 eggs & that was at over 22 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom