5 month old Drake- Human aggression

Clopez07

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
We have. 5 month old Indian runner who has started challenging my kids and even us adults. He will run at you with his bill open and has bit my husband and son today when they were putting them up. We have 2 females and 1 male. I don't believe they've started mating.

What can I do to stop this behavior now?

You can try time out. I have an aggresive muscovy drake [actually mine is a seriously distrubed drake -- he was a rescue and I suspect his early life has left a deep mark on his psyche.] I keep a dogcrate in the garden, and when he comes along trying to bite my feet and legs, I pick him up and plonk him in the dog crate. It only takes 3 minutes for him to come out chastened!! I recommend this as first line of action for behavior change modification in aggressive drakes.

I have realized recently, that all I need to do is pick up my aggressive drake and talk to him -- he doensn't fight me once he has realised he can't get away. I am able to talk to him quietly and stroke his head, neck and carruncles. That boy loves having his carruncles stroked!!! When I put him down, he behaves the way he does when I let him out of the dog crate. He does lots of flapping his wings, fluffing his feathers and dipping his chest to the ground, but goes off and doesn't try and bite me again. Maybe my boy really wants cuddling and doesn't know how to ask nicely!!!

Hi, here’s a suggestion :
To create a dependency & bonding - Try isolating the Drake, make him dependent on food from humans. Be scheduled with the food, until he is almost eating out of your hand (use gloves).
He will become dependent, losing his aggression. You are training him.

At 5 months they are usually in the hormone stage and starting to mate
Mine all started around 4 months being playful and by 5 months were full on
He may see you as threats to the girls thinking you may take them
I have 2 drakes that went through a weird stage of chasing and biting
But both have settled right down now
I would carry around a blue pool noodle and if they came I would pull it out abd they would instantly stop
I never have touched them with it but I do use them to help guide the ducks to bed
I tried the holding mine down
Time outs ect it all made them more angry
But in my case I think they thought I was their mate as it’s the two we have a ton of attention to as babies
Also my oldest drake ( little over a year now ) when he got to mate age he even bit my husky in the butt twice
She wouldn’t even come in the yard if they were in there but this has all stopped and now
She can walk right by him or lay in their duck house or yard and he isn’t bothered by her
I really think the hormone can affect each duck differently and some get a bit aggressive

We have. 5 month old Indian runner who has started challenging my kids and even us adults. He will run at you with his bill open and has bit my husband and son today when they were putting them up. We have 2 females and 1 male. I don't believe they've started mating.

What can I do to stop this behavior now?
I like the food dependency idea and the time out idea! Also maybe some treats? Reward him for being good and no treats for him if he’s being bad. I have 2 Indian Runner duck boys as well. They are my only ducks, which I hatched out myself. They are 4 months old and I’m curious how they will act when they get to that age. They are very imprinted on me and follow me everywhere though. So it might be a little different. Good luck and maybe make a post on how it all turns out!

Back
Top Bottom