5 month old Faverolles are laying, how long will the eggs be tiny?

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
For two weeks we've gotten one or two tiny eggs every day from our Salmon Faverolles. I have 4 pullets that are 5 months & 1 week old, and two have very red combs.

They are in with 2 BR hens who are regular layers, but I'm pretty sure the little eggs are from the faverolles, because they 1) aren't laid in the nest like the BR eggs and 2) are coming on the same day as BR eggs.

How long will they stay so tiny? They are all very uniform in size, pointier than a normal chicken egg, and about the size of a large gumball.

I can't answer your question, but I have one Salmon Faverolle who just started laying recently--last week? the week before? her eggs are brown instead of cream, so I was always attributing them to my wyandotte until last week I found 2 brown eggs in 1 morning. My third hen (of 3) is an EE and laying green eggs. Anyway, the brown eggs I'm getting started out pretty small--not as small as what you're saying, but they looked runty in the egg carton--and now I'm getting what I'd call 1 medium sized brown egg and 1 slightly smaller than medium brown egg after about 1-2 weeks of laying. My hens are around the same age as yours, maybe even a week or two older. So I'd say hang in there, they won't stay cadbury eggs forever, at least--I bet in less than a month you'll be getting reasonable size eggs. These are my first hens, so I'll be watching for more knowledgeable answers, but I wanted to give you my experience for encouragement anyway.

Thanks! Mine are darker, not an off-white or tint but a very pale brown... like the lightest I've ever gotten from my BR. They are perfectly uniform in size (I have over a dozen) just really, really tiny. Fart egg size.

Oh my! I guess I should have just waited before posting. Today I went out to check eggs and there were our regular 2 BR eggs and one gigantic, size of a double-yolker (doesn't fit in the regular carton) that I think came from my faverolle who has been laying tiny eggs. Poor thing.
ep.gif

All of my SFs lay small - medium eggs....the medium sized ones are less frequent. They were a year old in July.

Back
Top Bottom