5 month old hen acting odd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazedCowgirl, Jun 5, 2016.

1. CrazedCowgirl

CrazedCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    I have 7 hens, 5 are just about 5 months old and 2 are 3 months old. My Blue Andalusian, Eleanor, has been squawking and squatting pretty much constantly for the last 2 days and I'm not sure what's going on. None of my other hens are acting weird, just her. Anyone know what's going on with her? She doesn't look sick and other then being loud and squatting, she's acting like normal.

2. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

Possibly getting ready to start laying, I would think. But hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's exactly how most of my hens get before they begin to lay, they talk and talk. So I would expect an egg pretty quick, usually within a week of becoming loud.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Spending time in the coop / nest boxes is also a good indicator that she is getting ready to begin laying.

CT

5. CrazedCowgirl

CrazedCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2016
    Eugene Oregon
    She has been spending quite a bit of time in the coop lately. She ran everyone out of the coop yesterday and just sat in the doorway. I have nest boxes available for everyone and I have some golf balls in the boxes since she's my first layer. I thought it was too early for her to lay but I guess I'll take what I can get. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by