5 month old hen not walking and a little more tired than normal.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gwar1988, Oct 18, 2013.

1. gwar1988

gwar1988 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    I found one of my five month old hens sitting outside her house laying down with her wings spread out and her beak open. I picked her up and laid her in to her perch mates and she just laid there. Got her to drink some water with penicillin in it later that evening. The next day she was still not walking and was pulling herself along by her wings to move. She couldn't move far. This was two days ago and there has been no improvement. She still seems to be eating and drinking. She had a feast yesterday morning. She did have a wee bit of clear nasal discharge when I checked on her an hour ago. She is separated from the flock now. I had a hen die for no apparent reason around the 28th of last month. I'll post that thread later. I'm using my phone now and it won't let me paste the link in. In the mean time you can probably just look for threads I've posted in. Please help guys. I take take the heartbreak again. It's not looking good. :-(

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Is she paralyzed in any way? Are her legs in strange positions? Take a look at some symptoms of mareks disease and see if any fit the discription of what your bird is going through. .. chickens can be very very good at hiding illness as I came to learn unfortunately. Is her breathing regular? Any sound when she breathes? Any mucus present. How is her feces? I too had a unexplained death but later realized it was a virus when other members of my flock became ill and died. I know how you're feeling and sincerely hope your bird gets well. I wish I could be of more help but without seeing her or any other symptoms I can't help much. Mareks does come to mind but of course I can't be certain. Please list ANY other symptoms she might be having. I hope everything works out for you. I wish you the best! God bless.

3. gwar1988

Sep 29, 2013
    This is how I found her on Wednesday when I closed the door to their coop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nljo5ofbob88i0k/2013-10-16 18.30.05.jpg Here is a video of her eating. It's like her legs don't work but everything else is. There was a huge poop in her box. Looked pretty normal other than the size. I'll list her symptoms below...

Can't walk
    Seems a little more tired than normal
    She had a hard time waking up when I checked on her a little while ago.

Other than those things, she actually seems pretty healthy. Seems to be eating and drinking fine. I'm going to have to check her legs out then. I touched them a few times when I picked her up and it didn't seem to cause her pain. Thanks!!!!!!![​IMG]
    Quote:

4. gwar1988

Sep 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by